46. Pyaar Ka Ehsaas

Her heart was beating fast. She felt like she was in hell. Breathing seemed hard. He looked angry. He was angry, she felt sure. In the thirty-minutes ride, Shivaay had not let a single syllable escape his lips. He did not reply even she asked him five times, not just once or twice. His silence tormented her like nothing else could. She craned her neck to see him. Her teary eyes blurred her vision. She flared her nose. Shivaay did not see it. If he did, he ignored it. She wiped her tears with the back of her palm.

"Shivaay, I don't know why you aren't talking to me. Know one thing, if you are angry or upset for whatever reason, talking to me might help. We may solve it together." She reached for his hand as until now he was driving with only one. As soon as he saw Annika's hand reaching for his, he shifted it to the steering from his thighs. She looked down at her lap.

Shivaay took a deep breath. He peeked at Annika whose eyes were bent low at the moment. Her face bought a certain peace inside his soul. He took another deep breath. Perhaps, maybe, he interpreted the situation differently than it actually was. He asked the back of his mind. For the heart was only a blood-pumping machine. It trusted Annika.

"Is there something, anything that you want to tell me?" he asked.

Annika looked up and looked back down. She didn't have the heart to lie to Shivaay any longer. If the heart could feel pain, it was paining more than usual today. She imagined the day before was the worst day of her life. Today, she was proven wrong. She observed silence. The same silence that tortured her until now.

***

Shivaay dropped Annika at Oberoi Mansion. She gave him quick, inquisitive glances when he opened the door for her and signed to get off his car. Without speaking a word. Her jaws were tight and her palms balled in a fist with quivering lips and eyes filled with tears as she made her way to their room in the mansion. Working in this condition won't hold any value. On the other hand, she could make use of the free time she got and find a way to normalize her husband.

***

Shivaay reached his office and let himself fall on his chair. Initially, he did become angry and upset after seeing Annika with Dev. The fact that Annika never told him about Dev being in the same class as her did not go well with him. She knew how much he despised the class of society Dev belonged to. Still, she chose to keep him in the dark. However, as minutes passed, he was able to reflect on his behavior and reason out Annika's. There were numerous reasons he sketched out that could reason out Annika's behavior. If she told him there was nothing she felt necessary to let him know, then so be it. Out of all people, Annika won't be hiding things from him, would she?

***

Two hours later Annika received a call. Her lips curved up in a precious smile when she saw Shivaay's name on her mobile screen. She quickly put in the password and picked it up.

"Hello, Shivaay?"

"I am sorry," he said under one breath. There was a time this word did not come easily from his mouth. His feelings for Annika changed that too. He said, meant and felt sorry. He just hoped there was nothing like he thought before and the mistake he did by ignoring Annika in his anger could be fixed.

"Shivaay"

"I am really sorry. You know, I—You have a special place in my heart. See, I am sorry," he panted after saying.

"Shivaay, please. I am sorry."

"Why are you sorry?"