30. Matheran (iii)

Disclaimer: The name of the places and the pics are real, but I have no intention to copyright. Credit goes to Google. They are the sole property of their respective owners. For ease with the flow of reading, pictures are provided at the very end of the update, so it causes minimal distraction.

***

From four hundred and fifty meters above the earth, the sight of reefs and lakes covered with occasional shuttle trains passing by was visually appealing. Once in a while, a flock of birds would be visible. Small villages looked even smaller from high above. No wonder it was listed as a UNESCO heritage site.

After lunch, Shivaay and Annika boarded a cable car, one of the top attractions of Matheran. Search for Subway had brought them to Neral. From Neral to Matheran, they had three ways to go. One, they could go by car. Two, they could take the toy train. And three, they could take the cable car. Annika had insisted on riding the train while Shivaay tried to stick to the car. Seeing the frown on her face when he denied traveling by train, he felt bad. She adjusted to his wishes for their source of food earlier, so he thought he could adjust a bit. Yet his adjustment was more of a two-way compromise in the form of a cable car.

"There!" he looked where Annika pointed. They were passing by Panvel. The lush greenery of Kalavantin pinnacle was indescribable. Out of all they saw before, the pinnacle seemed the nearest with its two thousand and three hundred feet of elevation. Groups of travelers who came on trekking seemed like ants in search of food. The pinnacle was covered in clouds, such was the height of the fort.

"It's amazing," Shivaay took out his phone to capture a few pictures of the view in front of them. Annika smiled. She never knew Shivaay was a man to take pictures.

"It's beautiful," Annika added. He hummed in response.

Annika shifted her hand to hold his. Albeit shyly, she placed her head on his left shoulder blade. He looked up to her but did not deny the gesture.

"Thank you for coming here."

Shivaay replied with a smile, "It's okay. Rudra was right," he played with their joined hands for a bit, "We are married. I should take out time for you."

Annika's smile got bigger.

"And how did this magic happen?"

Shivaay pretended to think. He finally replied, "Some things just happen. Like I never thought I will enjoy being out like this. Yet here I am. I like this: spending time with you, being with you, having you close by."

"Annika, I agree that I am not a man who gets matters of heart easily. I understand them a lot later than anyone else. Now that I feel happy around you, I expect it even more. You are my wife. Spending time with you is both my duty and right," he continued.

Annika stroked his chest with her long fingers. He might have messed up with the wordings a bit, yet she couldn't be happier with the subject of his talks. He seemed equally invested in their marriage; a matter of great interest to her.

***

The cable car dropped them near the Little Chowk Point in Matheran. In contrast to the greenery everywhere else, the vantage point had more browns to show off. Visitors were buzzing like bees, especially around the big banyan tree in the middle.

Shivaay witnessed a few kids running here and there like anything. He also noticed how close those kids were to the cliff.

"These parents. Can't take care of kids or what?" he complained, "What if they fall?"