69. Fire on Fire (i)

Shivaay laid stiff on their bed. The feeling of love impaired his ability to think. How could he not understand this all along? To think of it, what could he do now that he realized. And what could be done if he knew this before? He pursed his lips as disappointment occupied a similar space as surprise in his heart. Rather say shocked because it was what he felt after learning his own sentiments.

The door creaked open and Annika entered. The sound brought an end to his contemplation turning him stiffer than he was. She wore a stupid smile and perhaps this was the first time Shivaay felt something other than happiness seeing her smile. He turned more confused. Not confused, but nervous. Confusion was long gone. All that left was love.

He stared at the washroom door throughout the time she was in there. And when she came outside, her smile made him more nervous. She laid on the other side of the bed. The smile was still on her face. She pulled the duvet over herself. He squeezed his eyebrows realizing something. She didn't make an issue about them sharing a bed for the first time since they were in this home. What was going on?

"Annika?"

"Hmm?"

"Nothing. Good night."

She turned to his side and held his hand. His heart was beating fast without asking him throughout this time. Only when she held his hand, he gained a sense of it. "Good night."

Without daring to crane his neck, he peeked to his left finding Annika had placed her head on his arm and her hand was holding the other arm.

***

Logic said Shivaay shouldn't delay confessing his feelings. If possible tomorrow since it was their six-month anniversary. There was only one problem here. He couldn't stand up to his middle name Singh meaning lion who is brave. Shivaay wasn't settled. He didn't want to sound too formal and get Annika to think he was doing this just to get her back at his home. Which in a way was true, but it was not the only reason. He didn't want to sound too cheesy either. He was not cheesy and Annika didn't love him for what he was not. Annika loved him for who he was and while confessing he wanted to be real. Then there was the main dilemma. He didn't want a confession that is bound to rejection. He worried she would reject him if his words weren't convincing enough.

The bell rang. He heard and hoped Annika opened the door for he was very busy to deal with whoever was there. He had searched confession ideas on google and went through ample of them. None of them sounded great enough and it didn't sound good that he was stealing a random google idea to propose to his wife. He wanted something original.

If anyone asked him for business ideas, he would produce ten original ones in five minutes. Here he couldn't think of one proposal in three hours. He presented in front of people from different countries without a tad bit of hesitation. And he was afraid of saying I love you to the person closest to him. Annika named him right. Billu ji. He smiled. The name was originally given by Kalyani but the way Annika said it made it sound like hers. The bell rang again.

"Whoever it is, I will kill you," he cursed, "Annika, please open the door. I am busy."

He hurriedly changed the opened tabs in his laptop in case Annika entered the sunroom he had made himself comfortable after returning from the office and wondered what he was busy at. The last time she caught him shopping for condoms was embarrassing enough. It wasn't even a story he could tell if someone asked him to tell a tale of an embarrassing situation.

Another idea occurred in his mind. It was not the very best but doable. What about a video where he could say anything and everything to a camera.? Things he couldn't say when Annika was in front of him. Could he record a video for Annika and confess his feelings? That way his confession would be unique and he wouldn't turn nervous. He preferred telling her face to face but knew he might not get the courage for it by tomorrow. He wished he gathered the courage to look into her eyes and confess his feelings. Annika would prefer a simple confession where he meets her eyes over something grandiose where he can't say anything on her face.