Chapter 3

Johnny secured Ben's air supply as Veronica was checking his vitals.

"Please tell me your guy's not trying to rekindle things with my sister again?" Johnny asked as he moved to check the front of Ben's suit and Veronica moved to check the monitor that transmitted Ben's vitals.

"Of course not, it's strictly business," Ben promised but anyone who looked at the two could see otherwise. It had been part of the reason why Victor chose now to propose to her. The night before they left Earth he'd showed his sister the biggest engagement ring she'd ever seen. A large rectangular diamond with two smaller rectangular emeralds on either side, on a gold band. Extravagant, but not Sue. But it had been too late to tell Victor that so Veronica had only smiled, congratulated him and wished him luck.

"Yes, well, his eyes say differently, don't they?" Johnny asked rhetorically as he lifted up Ben's wrist to double-check on his vitals, Ben grabbing his hand.

"Hey. Two hearts got busted last time. Maybe she's not over it either," Ben said solemnly.

"Wow Dr Phil, that's deep."

"Deeper than your shallow heart could ever be," Veronica shot back as she swatted his hands away from messing with the vital tracker on Ben's wrist.

Johnny was slightly hurt by her statement but he knew with how he acted that he deserved it.

"Well let's see. You got Victor, more money than god, stud of the year, and you got Reed, world's dumbest smart guy," Johnny said as they walked into the airlock and Veronica handed Ben the sample flowers.

"Kinda have to agree with him there."

Ben looked at her, accusatory.

"Sorry, Benny. Reed is a genius, but he is a little slow when it comes to relationships and feelings."

"Not to mention he's worth less than a postage stamp. It's quite the toss-up," Johnny continued as he walked out of the airlock.

"Don't trouble your tiny little mind," Ben called out to Johnny who walked back in with a tether and began to secure it to Ben.

"Ok, your vitals are good, you've got about two hours of air. And so long as Johnny attached that tether properly, you're all good," Veronica assured him as he smiled in thanks.

"Hey!" Johnny complained but Veronica just smiled as she patted the glass dome that allowed Ben to see before walking out to the airlock bay and sitting by the monitor.

"Don't wander off now boy," Johnny said as he walked out and closed the steel and glass door that prevented them from all getting sucked out into space with Ben.

As the door shut Johnny turned to Veronica who nodded as she said, "Confirmed airtight seal. Greenlight for the exterior door."

She stood as she watched Johnny punch something into a computer and the automated voice sounded alerting people that the exterior door was opening as Johnny and Ben exchanged thumbs up.

Veronica could feel Ben's smile as the doors opened and he walked out into space.

"You ever been walking?" Johnny asked her and she smiled.

"Once or twice," she answered with a knowing smile that said the number was much larger, as she stared out the door and into space.

"It's amazing walking out there," Johnny said as he stared out the portal with her. "It's like flying. It's like you're...." he struggled to find the right word.

"Free," Veronica finished for him and they both smiled as their eyes met.

"Yeah," he said breathlessly, slightly amazed that she understood it perfectly.

"As adorable as you two are, I really don't want to listen to the sound of you smooching," Ben's voice interrupted as he spoke through their communication sets and the moment was over.

"Like that would happen," Veronica muttered softly as she moved back over to the monitor to check on Ben's vitals.

Things were tense between Johnny and Veronica as they spoke with Ben and monitored his progress when alarms began to sound.

"What's that?" Johnny asked her and there was only one reason why the alarms would sound with no flashing lights.

The shields were being closed. Her brother was closing the shields and sealing the control centre.

"Vic is closing the shields," she answered in disbelief, fear growing in her chest as she stood, fear that only grew as Reed came rushing into the room.

"Ben, you need to get inside now!" he yelled through his comm set.

"What's going on?"

"What's happening?"

Veronica and Johnny answered at the same time.

"I ain't done arranging your flowers yet egghead," Ben's voice answered as he turned to look back through the portal hole.

It was then, as Veronica was pressed up against the glass door with Reed and Johnny that she saw why Victor had closed the shields.

The solar cloud was seconds away from hitting them.

"I'm never going to make it," Ben said.

"JUMP!" Veronica yelled.

"You have to jump. It's the only way," Johnny agreed and they all watched anxiously as Ben leapt across the gap from the testing docks to the doors.

"Ronnie, get ready to close the portal," Reed ordered and she rushed to the small monitor and keypad that controlled it.

She heard the thump of Ben smashing into the plexiglass and she hit the button just as Reed yelled, "Now!"

And the doors sealed.

They watched as Ben sank to the floor of the airlock chamber but then looked to where the exterior doors were closed, but not holding.

"Get down!" Johnny yelled as he tackled Veronica to the floor, shielding her body with his.

And the storm broke through.