Chapter 25

When Veronica woke and had eaten something, the General assembled them all in an unused conference room as he yelled at them, like a parent to his child.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

Reed sighed as he answered, "We'll make adjustments. Next time we'll be ready."

The general had only laughed. "Next time. There's no next time. You can't handle this alone. Which is why I'm bringing in some help."

Eyes widened, but Johnny's just landed on Veronica. He was relieved she was ok but it took every fibre of his being, every ounce of self-control in him to not touch her, to not hug her right there.

"General, you bring in more soldiers and weaponry, you're going to put innocent people in danger," Reed protested.

And a voice said, "No more than you already have."

Veronica froze.

She knew that voice.

She knew that voice anywhere. In her darkest nightmares and happiest daydreams, it haunted her.

She would never not know that voice.

Her hands trembled as she looked up to the man standing beside the General.

Her brother.

Victor Von Doom stood, alive and well, not a scratch, nor shard of metal on him.

Johnny was on his feet, arm in front of Veronica as Ben balled his fists.

"Victor?" Reed asked in disbelief.

"What's the matter?" he laughed. "Afraid of ghosts?"

And Ben charged.

The General barely had time to move from his path as Ben ran Victor into the concrete wall, hand crushing his neck.

"Since you're a ghost you won't mind if I break your little neck?" he growled as he held him, Veronica still shaking. She didn't think that she would ever have seen her brother again.

"Let him go," the General ordered as he told a soldier holding a gun to stand down.

"Don't you know who that is?!" Johnny yelled in outrage.

"It's Victor Von Doom and he's here under my orders," the General clarified.

"Ben let him go," Reed ordered eventually and the giant dropped Victor who coughed before he straightened.

"How is this possible? How are you still alive?" Reed asked.

"No thanks to you five, that's for certain," Victor said as he dusted himself off only to start gasping for breath again.

Eyes eventually found their way to Veronica who only stared at her brother.

"Miss Von Doom, stand down," the General ordered and Veronica only stepped out into the aisle.

"You can't stop me. None of you have any power over me. Not when this is between my big brother and I," she said monotone as she stood in front of her choking brother as he convulsed on the floor.

"Stand down!" a soldier yelled as he held a gun at Veronica and she only pinned him with her gaze, the gun flying out of his hands before she returned her attention to Victor.

"Veronica," came Johnny's voice as he gently touched her arm, and he felt their powers switch.

Veronica jumped, not expecting it as she accidentally sent a plume of fire towards the stone wall.

Johnny pulled her into a hug as he moved her away from Victor, Ben smiling as Victor rose, still coughing.

"You've grown ruthless little sister. I like it," Victor smirked and Veronica's eyes began to glow orange with fire as Johnny held her back, distracting her by pulling her into a kiss and the smoke and fire died as she savoured his touch while the General spoke.

"Von Doom's made contact with the alien. He's got valuable information," he explained as Victor death stared Johnny and his sister who were still kissing.

Eventually, they broke apart, still in each other's arms as Victor spoke, Veronica unable to be distracted now.

"Information that might just help save the planet," Victor smirked as he walked down the aisle to face Reed and Sue. "Let's be clear. I hate you. Most of you," as he pinned Susan with his dark eyes, mirror to his sister's. "I could never hate my little sister," he said with a smile as he turned to face her, Johnny whispering calming words in her ear as he tried to persuade her not to go after her brother.

"Just focus on me. Focus on me. Do you know how good it feels to be touching you again? To be holding you?" he whispered as she began to calm, a look of murder still on her face but Johnny could feel the tension leave her body as he held his face to her hair.

"But, the world's at stake, and we all need to work together to survive," Victor explained but Veronica didn't trust him for one second.

"General, we know firsthand: you trust Victor and you're going to regret it," Reed warned but the General only stared at Reed with a superior look in his eyes.

"So far the only one I've regretted trusting here is you, Richards."

"Trust my brother, and you'll end up dead," Veronica spoke up and all eyes landed on her, her brother giving her a mischievous smirk that made her want to punch it from his face.

"Reed, don't agree to this!" Ben protested, agreeing with Veronica.

Victor only raised his eyebrows, waiting.

It was exactly like it was when this first started, in that conference room 2 years ago.

Victor knew what he had, knew how to hold it over Reed and make him agree to a deal that was never fair, that would always reap Victor more rewards.

And just like that day, Reed agreed.