Chapter 9

"Based on the footage of your powers from the bridge, it seemed similarly based to Sue's. Where she bends light, you can bend the energy around objects and control their movement. So I also believe you have an emotional trigger. Can you remember your exact emotions on the bridge?" Reed asked and explained from his desk.

"Worry and fear. I was worried about the lady getting hit and the man falling. But what I did with Victor at the hospital was more anger and rage based."

Reed scribbled something down before he turned to her and said, "Ok, so I want to focus on anger. Anger is easier to control than fear. Try and think of a memory or person that puts you in a blind rage and then I want you to try and move this pen."

Veronica thought for a second before she landed on the moment when she realised that her big brother was leaving her to die out in that solar storm. Yes, she'd been hurt too, but she'd been angry. Angry that he put himself first, that he cared more about whether he lived or died than his own sister.

Veronica's hand began to glow blue as she lifted the pen into the air, but in her rage, she balled her fist and crushed it into pieces.

"Interesting," Reed muttered as he scrounged for a new pen and made more notes.

"Seems that rage works best for both you and Sue. Now you suspected your actions on the bridge caused your fatigue yesterday. What was the diagnosis given by the paramedics?"

"All clear save for a heart rate that was a little lower than normal."

"What was the rate? Do you remember?"

"40 beats per minute."

"I'd like to check your heart rate now if you don't mind," Reed said as he reached forward and place a clip onto her index finger, 60 seconds passing by as the computer counted her number of heartbeats.

"50 beats per minute. I think it stands to reason that every time you use your powers you grow more accustomed to it. Your body reacts better. We'll run another test tomorrow and if the result is the same or higher than I believe your fatigue was a one-time thing. But still, I need you to eat regularly and drink plenty of water."

"Yes sir, Dr Richards," Veronica had joked before walking out, very relieved at what they had discovered.