Chapter 11

They were heading to the motorcycle competition, Veronica driving Johnny's Ferrari. He'd been reluctant at first but if he was getting to ride the bikes than she could at least get to drive.

As she'd pulled to a red light, an overexcited man in a black muscle car had pulled up alongside her, revving his engine in contest.

Veronica only smiled as she watched the road, one foot on the break and the other itching to hit the accelerator as the guy kept revving his engine.

But when the light finally turned green, the muscle car couldn't move an inch as Veronica took off, having used her powers to crush the wheels of his car.

As Johnny had gone to sign up, he'd held onto Veronica's hand the entire time, not wanting to lose her in the crowd.

Veronica had felt butterflies at the touch. She definitely felt something for Johnny, but she didn't want to act on it for fear she'd get hurt. She'd heard of his reputation as a notorious womanizer and though in their weeks of friendship and conversation had proved that he was genuinely a nice person, she just didn't want to risk it. If he wanted to make a move, however, she was more than open to it but for now, she wasn't against some harmless flirting.

"Alright, alright. I want you all to make a lot of noise for a very special guest. Mr Johnny Storm from the fantastic five!"

Veronica was full of excitement as she watched Johnny rev his bike and race up the ramp, lifting his entire body up as he held the handlebars, flying through the air.

"Whoa! Look at that lift!"

Veronica was quite impressed if she had to admit it.

"But Johnny come on. That's old school. Show us something new. Impress your girl, Miss Veronica Von Doom of the Fantastic Five!" the announcer called as the jumbotron camera landed on a smiling Veronica who gave a small wave at the camera before blowing a kiss, the audience only cheering louder.

"Something new, you got it," Johnny muttered to himself as he looked away from Veronica and revved his bike again as he made for the ramp.

This time he let go of the bike completely as he attempted to do a couple flips and grab back on, only for the bike to move out of reach.

"Come on, Johnny. Come on!" he yelled to himself as he partially ignited and flew higher.

"Johnny!" Veronica called out in worry as he began to fall before he felt himself slow. Johnny quickly realised that he was encased in blue energy, Veronica's hand in the air as she set him on the ground as his bike crashed before running over to him.

Johnny took a breath before ripping off the burnt motorcycle uniform to reveal his blue suit, a sleek five on the left breast area, added by Johnny of course, to all of the suits before they'd left the Baxter Building.

"Are you ok?" Veronica asked as she reached him and Johnny couldn't take it anymore.

The girl gave a surprised squeal as Johnny kissed her, hands on her back as hers settled around his neck and the crowd went wild.

"You definitely flew that time," she joked as they pulled apart and they were swarmed by people.

Eventually, a reporter made her way to the couple, Johnny's arm around Veronica's waist as she let him have his moment and answer most of the questions.

"I have to ask you about this outfit though," the girl smiled and Johnny beamed as he looked at the camera.

"Sorta Armani meets astronaut."

The crowd laughed as the reporter asked, "And I hear you have superhero names?"

"They call me the Human Torch. This one calls me Torch," he answered as he pulled Veronica closer to him the girl rolling her eyes.

"Yeah cos that's happened," she said sarcastically but with a smile as the crowd laughed.

"And what are you called?" the reporter asked her.

"The Blue Sorceress."

"Strong yet sexy, I like it. What about her?" she asked as a picture of Sue appeared on the jumbotron.

"That's the Invisible Girl."

"Woman," Veronica corrected. "It's the Invisible Woman."

"Of course. And what about your leader? Reed Richards, I hear you call him Mr Fantastic. Is it true what they say that he can expand any part of his anatomy?" the reporter asked suggestively.

"Well I've always found him to be a little limp," Johnny joked and Veronica smacked his shoulder playfully.

"And what do you call that thing?" she asked as a picture of Ben appeared.

"That's it. The Thing."

"He may look scary but he is still a person. He still has feelings and a heart. And just because he looks different doesn't mean he's a bad person," Veronica defended, somewhat annoyed at both Johnny and the reporter.

And Johnny could tell he'd upset her as he put an end to any more questions and kept a firm hand around Veronica's waist as they made for the exit, being swarmed and followed by people as they went, namely girls looking for Johnny's attention. Veronica was surprised when he didn't give it to them.

As they walked down the red carpet at the entrance, they were met with Sue and Reed.

"What were you thinking?!" she scolded as they walked.

"That I was losing my mind and she needed a break from worrying about her brother who doesn't worry about her," and answered, taking Sue by surprise. "You can yell at me when we get back, where's my ride?" he asked only to have his shiny red Ferrari be thrown in front of him after it was crushed into a little ball.

The licence plate hit Johnny in the shoulder as he looked over to where Ben stood.

"You think that's funny pebbles?!" he yelled and Veronica was instantly in front of him.

"Johnny. Johnny don't," she pleaded but was met with deaf ears as he pushed her behind him and took a threatening step towards Ben.

"You gave us names?! So what, now you're the face of the Fantastic Five?!" Sue continued, hoping to distract Johnny from Ben.

"A face that's about to be broken," Ben raged as he approached, blocked by Reed's arm.

"Look, Johnny, this isn't permanent. We need to be careful until we're normal again."

"What if I don't want to be normal?!" Johnny shot at Reed. "I didn't turn into a monster."

Ben had his fist raised at Johnny before Veronica could jump in, but he didn't swing.

Instead, he walked away as Sue ordered her brother to apologise, only for him to send a ball of flame to the back of Ben's head.

The giant stopped in his tracks as he turned around.

"Did you just-" Ben began before another ball of flame was thrown at him. This time, however, it didn't hit him as it was encased in blue light and thrown back at Johnny's face, making him stumble backward in surprise.

They both turned to Veronica who was angry at both of them, namely Johnny.

"Enough, both of you!"

Ben began to walk away again as Veronica turned to Johnny.

"Ronnie-"

"Don't," she warned as she jogged after Ben.

"Ben wait!"