Chapter 17

"Are you sure you're ok?" Johnny asked into Veronica's ear as they moved past people on the celebratory cruise that had been thrown for them the next night.

It had been pretty good so far.

Veronica had met Alicia, the stunning, but blind woman that had captivated Ben. She'd met some of the most prominent people in the city, mayor, police captain, etc. And she'd just made out with Johnny in a dark corner.

The only dark spot was that she missed her brother. Despite what he had done, he was still her family and there was always a part of her that would love him.

And she'd told Johnny this earlier today, so he was extra careful during interviews and things, to help guide questions away from Victor because he was still a sore spot for her. That alone earned him a make-out session in a dark corner.

And then, he'd taken her out on a real date, like he'd promised weeks ago.

He'd set up a gazebo on the rooftop of the Baxter Building with a table and everything, candles and flowers. And they'd had a three-course meal while they talked and admired the view.

It was perfect. Well almost.

A paparazzi helicopter had flown up to get pictures of them, thankfully as they were leaving the roof.

They'd laughed it off before going to get ready for tonight's cruise along the river.

She turned to Johnny as she smiled, a glass of white wine in her hand while Johnny nursed a scotch. "I'll be fine," she promised as she pecked his lips and they joined Reed, Sue, Alicia and Ben.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Reed asked Sue who smiled and they moved out to the open deck area at the back of the boat while Veronica turned to Ben.

"Pay up," she said holding out her hand, a massive smile on her face as ben forked over the cash with a heavy sigh. "Come to mama," she smiled as she tucked it in her bra, her blue dress absent of pockets, before smacking Johnny on the back of the head for staring just a little too long.

Johnny just held her close to him as they swayed, spinning in a circle as her arm was hooked around his neck, both of them still holding their drinks as they danced, mouthing the words to the song as they went.

Ben even swaying slightly as he held Alicia close.

Eventually, everyone at the party froze and grew silent as they turned to peek out of the doors to the deck area.

Where Reed was proposing to Sue.

Veronica smiled at the scene, happy to see them happy. Even Johnny was smiling, not just because he was happy for his sister, but because he was enjoying the image of him proposing to Veronica that popped into his mind as he kissed her temple and Ben said, "Aw, she's kissin' him."

Alicia burst into laughter, Ben having said that mostly so she knew what was happening.

A few people started cheering and shouting congratulations as Ben turned to Johnny and said, "Hey, no more wisecracks about the way I look."

Johnny handed Veronica his drink, and the girl sighed as she guessed what was about to happen before downing the scotch. Johnny patted Ben on the shoulder as he said, "Hey, call me Mr Sensitivity."

Then he looked to the door, pushing people out of the way as he yelled out, "Ok, wide load coming through. Everybody move he's huge."

Veronica passed off her empty glasses to someone else as she took Alicia from Ben who charged after Johnny saying, "Come here, Mr Sensitive."

"Flame on!" he yelled and Johnny launched from the deck as everyone crowed outside.

"Show- off!" Ben yelled as Johnny drew the symbol of the Fantastic Five in flames in the night sky, and Veronica laughed.

Yep, that was her Torch.