Chapter 32

Reed held Sue, still sitting on the ground as Ben and Veronica stood, winds blowing and things exploding as Veronica was wrought with nerves.

Johnny had left minutes ago to help the Surfer, minutes ago, and nothing was happening.

"Why isn't it working?!" Ben yelled over the wind and Reed merely looked at the sky.

"We were too late."

The light was blinding.

It was a bright white light and when it faded, they were bathed in darkness.

At least before the first light came on.

And then the next.

And the next.

And the next.

Until the entire street, the entire city was bathed in light and when you looked up to the sky, you could see the stars.

And then Veronica heard Sue's voice, and she crashed down next to the girl who was basically her sister.

"I'm so glad you're ok," she smiled as she squeezed Sue's hand, the blonde only smiling at her as she and Reed helped her up.

"Veronica!"

She spun.

Johnny stood next to Ben, a smile on his face and a look in his eyes that she knew exactly what it meant.

She ran to him.

She wrapped her legs around Johnny's waist as he caught her, squeezing her tight before pulling her into a kiss, finally able to touch her without consequence.

"Marry me."

"What?" she asked as she pulled away and he set her down.

"Marry me. Be my wife. After all of this, after Sue, I don't want to spend my life, no matter how short, without you. Marry me."

"Yes."

And their lips met.

Who knew one small word could have so much meaning.

As they pulled apart, Veronica smiled as Johnny rushed over to his sister, wrapping her in a hug and relieved that she was ok.

That they were all ok.