Chapter 30: Iroh's Wisdom

Zuko found it easier to rule the Fire Nation after returning from dealing with Jet and his bandits in the Earth Kingdom. His doubts subsided and he found a group of advisors he felt were truly loyal, which made his job a lot easier than it had been with traitors like General Lao on his council.

After a long day of meetings followed by a speech to his people, Zuko was ready to spend the evening relaxing. He made his way to the lounge where his uncle always spent his evenings sipping tea and admiring the gardens.

Sure enough, he found his uncle doing just that when he entered the room. Iroh was like the father he never had, and he didn't know what would have become of him without his uncle there to guide him.

"Hello uncle," Zuko said and took a seat across from him. Iroh poured him a cup of ginseng tea and smiled his warm loving smile.

"Long day?" Iroh asked him and went back to admiring the birds singing on a nearby tree.

"Long but not too exhausting," Zuko said and gently blew on his cup of tea to cool it down.

"Where did Sokka go?" his uncle asked which took Zuko aback for a second.

"He went back to the southern water tribe. Why do you ask?" Zuko asked and took a sip of the delicious tea.

"It was so nice having him here you know," his uncle explained, "when you were in your meetings him and I would often have long conversations about life."

Zuko hadn't thought much about what Sokka did all day when he was working, but it made him happy he was able to keep his uncle company.

"I got a letter from him today actually," Zuko said trying not to sound too excited about it. It was the first letter he had gotten from him since they parted ways in Ba Sing Se.

"What is the news from the southern water tribe?" his uncle asked and Zuko thought he detected the smallest hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"The southern tribe is planning a winter competition between the north and south. It's supposed to take place in three days, and they have set up a fair to go along with it in the hopes to improve ties between the tribes," Zuko said and he tried his best, but he couldn't help his voice adopting a slightly unhappy tone.

"You should go," his uncle said and set down his now empty cup of tea. He poured himself more and did the same for Zuko.

"Why? The Fire Nation isn't involved in the event and so there's no reason to be involved," Zuko said and he started fidgeting with the button on his tunic.

"I'm not telling you to go to represent the Fire Nation, I'm telling you to go to be with Sokka," his uncle said and took a long sip from his cup.

"I'm not sure what you mean uncle," Zuko said but his voice grew thinner as his nerves set in.

"Do not try and fool on an old man nephew," his uncle said and laughed, "I have seen the way that boy looks at you, and the way you look at him. It makes me happy to finally see you smile again. Finding true love is not something to take for granted."

Zuko didn't know what to say. His uncle knew about him and Sokka before either of them even knew they had feelings for each other.

"Uncle I..." Zuko started but he knew words weren't the right way to express his feelings. He ran over and hugged his uncle, who returned the warm and loving hug only he could give.

A single tear fell down Zuko's cheek and landed on his uncle's shoulder. It was at that moment Zuko knew what it really meant to have a family who truly loved you.

They both let go and Iroh stood so he could look Zuko in the eye when he said, "I will always love you as if you were my own son, nothing will ever change that."

Zuko gave him another hug, this one gentler and more vulnerable than the first. Knowing his uncle still loved him even though he was in love with Sokka made all his fears and anxiety slip away.

"What are you waiting for?" Iroh asked and Zuko let go of him and looked confused, "You have got a lot of cold weather packing to do!"

Zuko smiled and nodded before quickly finishing his cup of tea and rushing to his room. He didn't have any official Fire Lord outfits to wear in cold weather, so he just packed his normal clothes and the warmest coat he could find.

He had not been this excited to be frozen like a popsicle in his entire life, but that's because he never had anything to look forward to when visiting the poles. Now he had his sarcastic boyfriend who told him how much he missed him in his letter to look forward to seeing again after weeks apart.

He would have been over the moon if he hadn't remembered no one else knew about them other than his uncle. Zuko knew the water tribe was more accepting, but he doubted the chief would take kindly to his son dating the Fire Lord.

Once his packing was finished he booked a ticket for the next passenger boat to the south pole, which unfortunately wasn't until the day of the competition. Three days were all that stood between him and that beautiful water tribe boy.