Chapter 56: A Familiar Warmth

A faint knock came from the door to Sokka's room. It had been an hour since he had come back from his walk, but he was still wide awake. He jumped out of bed and opened the door all the way.

"I... Is it alright if... Never mind I'll just..." Zuko tried to say but he couldn't get the words out. He looked shaken up and Sokka guessed whatever nightmare he had been in was worse than the one from before.

Sokka reached out and grabbed Zuko's hand, but the firebender pulled it away and looked away and towards the floor. Zuko's resistance to being touched hurt, but Sokka had to ignore it and focus on helping the man he loved in that moment.

"Come in," Sokka said and stood to the side, letting Zuko walk wearily into the room.

"Do you want to talk about it or just climb in bed?" Sokka asked. Zuko walked over to the bed and sat on the edge of it on the side he used to sleep on when they shared a bed before.

Sokka laid back down in bed and covered up. Zuko hesitated for a moment before climbing in and pulling the comforter up over himself. Despite everything he had said earlier, Sokka couldn't help but stare longingly at him.

To his disappointment Zuko rolled over on his right side, facing away from him. At the very least he knew there was a sliver of hope for them still.

For the first time in a very long time, he felt the comforting warmth of his favorite firebender next to him. At first it felt odd, the space under the sheets being filled with so much warmth, but as time slowed and the minutes turned into hours it once more felt familiar and comforting.