chapter 19

chapter 19

"These walls are closing
Closing me in
Wearing me thin, with fear"

-Ruelle

The night of Harry's rescue arrived sooner than Lyra felt prepared for. As her first official Order mission, her nerves were on end. So much so that Lyra found herself pacing out in the Weasleys' garden, weaving between the plants and garden gnomes just hours before they were to leave.

Moody and Shaklebolt had left not long ago to leave Portkeys at the houses connected to the Order for escape plans that wouldn't be done through magical means.

Lyra's brain was in overdrive, thinking back to every step of the plan. Arrive, Polyjuice, Fly, Apperate, Burrow.

"You're overthinking." A sing-song voice called from the door to the Burrow.

With a huff, Lyra turned to face a bubblegum-pink haired Tonks. "Absolutely not."

"Yes, you are," Tonks said with a smile, walking nearer and kicking at an area of dirt before sitting and patting at the spot next to her. She had been glowing since her wedding. It had been a small thing, no more than fifteen people, as Remus and Tonks said their vows and were declared husband and wife, then left for their twenty-four-hour honeymoon before returning for the next Order meeting.

Lyra hoped that when this was all over they would be allowed a proper reception, maybe even a proper ceremony.

Lyra wiped at the ground before taking the seat, looking out at the large field with a sigh.

"I questioned every move I made during my first Auror mission. I'm clumsy as shit, and just my luck the first official mission I ever had was stealth. I didn't think I could do it and back then Mad-Eye was still terrifying to be around so I didn't want to disappoint."

"Not much has changed," Lyra muttered, pulling at a blade of grass.

Tonks snorted but continued, "I was nervous the entire time and I almost got us caught twice and my heart felt like it could beat out of my chest. Thankfully, everyone made it out alive and we succeeded."

Lyra turned to Tonks with a raised eyebrow, "Happy ending?"

"Not exactly." Tonks said, "I felt guilty, couldn't bring myself to face my team. I turned down two missions and stuck to desk work. Too scared to get back on the field."

"What'd you do?"

"I got over it." At another of Lyra's raised eyebrows, Tonks rolled her eyes, "Well, technically Mad-Eye didn't get off my case until I got over it."

Lyra laughed, falling back onto the grass, Tonks followed suit.

"He put me on a mission right after I agreed to fieldwork again. It was solo."

Lyra shot back up, "He what?"

"Well, that's what he told me, I did have back-up, that he didn't tell me off. I went in thinking I had no one but myself to get the hostages out. I knew I had to do everything right to catch the guy."

"And you did?"

Tonks nodded in agreement, "And I did. They survived, I succeeded, and Mad-Eye got to rub it in my face that he was right."

They laughed again, nearly a full-blown cackle as Lyra fell on her back again to lay next to Tonks. Eventually, it died down and Lyra felt her nerves resurface.

"I'm so scared," she breathed, "that I'm going to fuck up."

Tonks turned her head to her side, sighing softly as she faced Lyra, "We all are, kid."