chapter 10

chapter 10

"the hardest part of all
is that we're only built to fall"

-5 Seconds of Summer

Blaise staggered as he landed in the Malfoy Manor, releasing his mother's arm as she greeted Mrs. Malfoy. And once his step-father arrived they made their way into the dining room.

The Malfoys, as extravagant as always, had a large chandelier hanging over their long table.

Blaise made his way around the table, nodding to Draco and Theo, shaking hands with Mr. Nott, and hugging Mrs. Nott, who placed a kiss on each of his cheeks.

Narcissa took the hostess seat, Lucius's seat remained empty and Blaise tried not to look at it for too long. Draco sat next to his mother while Mr. Nott sat on her other side, Mrs. Nott taking the seat next to him.

Theo was seated across from his father and next to Draco, Blaise took the seat next to him and his mother took the next while his step-father took the one across from her.

Narcissa, with a minuscule smile, spread her arms as the house-elves began filing in with plates of food, "Enjoy."

In soft conversation, the group ate. The adults spoke more than the teens as there was still an awkward tension between the three. And it seemed they weren't very good at hiding it either.

"Now what is the matter with you three?" Mrs. Nott finally turned her attention to them as the table was cleared, "Usually you three would be trying to escape the table to go up to Draco's room by now."

Blaise gave her a tight smile. Usually they would be trying to leave so they could put Theo's flask to good use. But it seemed none of them felt like drinking, or being in the same room with each other.

"Just tired from school, Mrs. Nott." Blaise spoke politely, wiping the corner of his lips with his napkin.

She smiled back at him, "Yes. I remember my sixth year was a struggle. I'm sure your three will be just fine, and maybe you and Draco could help Theodore with his grades this year, Merlin knows he's been struggling."

It was a veiled attack at her soon, covered by Mrs. Nott's deep purple lipstick and the soft laughs from her and her husband. If Blaise was anyone else he wouldn't have noticed it, but he did notice as well as he noticed Theo tense next to him.

"I assume you're all considering your futures now?" Mr. Nott interjected.

Blaise nodded, he knew the man didn't expect an actual response. He was rarely associated with him or Draco or even Theo unless it was a yes-no question.

"Well," Narcissa said, "That is another reason we are all here tonight."

Blaise's mother interjected in an almost sympathizing tone that Blaise hadn't heard in years, "Why don't we move to the living area to have this discussion."

Blaise waited until the adults had left the room before turning to Draco and Theo. "What the fuck was that about?"

Theo shrugged but Draco stayed facing forwards, frozen.

"Do you know what's going on?"

Draco slowly turned to look at him, "I have a guess."

But he stood and began walking after their parents to the room Blaise had arrived in less than an hour ago.

The three boys took a seat on the leather sofa, big enough for all of them. Each other their parents had taken the individual seats, Narcissa, Mrs. Nott, and Mrs. Zabini sitting while Mr. Nott and Blaise's step father stood behind their wives, hands resting on their seats.