chapter 23

*warning: attacking/abuse of kids, minor panic attacks

chapter 23

"i'm hoping you could save me now, but you break and fold
you've got a fire inside, but your heart's so cold"

-Halsey

Just hours back at Hogwarts and Blaise felt the cold void in his chest, like a hole growing the more he looked up at Snape and the Carrows.

The more he glanced at Lyra and watched her face fall flat, completely blank. Lyra has always been passionate, so much happiness and anger. Nothing was ever hidden when it came to Lyra.

Now, she would look around the room with empty eyes. Hidden rage when she saw him on the train, concealed skepticism when she was inspecting the staff table, masked fear after Snape's speech.

She was hiding and Blaise had no doubt it was because of where her loyalties now lay. It wouldn't be an easy year for anyone who didn't support You-Know-Who's movement, it would be worse for families of Order members or Order members themselves.

The feast was probably the worst thing so far. Unlike previous years, the first years weren't filled with excitement for their arrival at Hogwarts. More than anything they looked scared.

This isn't right.

When the plates were halfway done, they quickly disappeared. Snape was the first one up and gone, the Carrows right behind while McGonagall stayed behind.

"Prefects, please lead your house to your common room. Good night." She looked exhausted. Despite her age, McGonagall had never looked it--as a teacher she needed to be quick to keep up with the chaos that occurred at Hogwarts--until now.

This really isn't right.

Blaise stood, following Theo and Daphne down to the Slytherin common room. Astoria, Millicent, and Draco weren't far behind. Pansy, who had stayed prefect, was helping the first years.

As soon as they reached the common room Theo threw himself on the couch, rubbing a hand over his face. Daphne and Millicent took the seats by him while Blaise sat across in the single-person seat.

"Here's to a great first day back," Millicent smirked, raising a flask.

This is not right.

Blaise didn't want to wake up the next morning. Except, Theo was unwilling to go through their first day back alone, which led to Blaise being thrown off this bed that morning.

"Get up. We have to go." Theo's sleep-addled voice called from the opposite side.

"Shit," Blaise grunted, pulling himself up and reaching for the robes on his luggage.

"How bad do you think it'll be?" Theo muttered to him, head bowed as he knotted the green tie around his neck.

"I don't think we have to worry about ourselves," Blaise whispered back, buttoning up his shirt.

"I'm not. I'm worried about--"

Everyone else. Theo was worried about Lyra, Fay, and Zara, and the rest of Hogwarts that wasn't protected by Death Eater parents and a green symbol on their robes.

Blaise placed his hand on Theo's shoulder, "We'll be ok. Everything will be ok."

Neither of them believed that for one second.