chapter 14

chapter 14

if you can't find another reason to stay,

then I know I'm gonna always have a lonely,lonely heart

-5 Seconds of Summer

"Are you sure about this?" Zara asked, almost cowering behind Fay, it was quite the scene to watch her towering figure trying to hide behind Fay's smaller form, especially when Fay herself was bouncing about in excitement.

"Yes." Lyra said, despite the very fast, very hard beating of her heart as she stepped into the dinghy shop. The cold air, even colder than the winter wind outside, doesn't calm her nerves in the slightest.

A lady stepped from behind the curtain, her arms covered in swirling lines and patterns of blues, purples, and greens. Her hair was bright red, almost as stunning as her smile.

"Hiya!" She said, voice rising slightly above the blues music playing through the store, "I'm Rose, what can I do for ya?"

Ok, so maybe Lyra should have thought this through a little bit more, "Er, I wanted to get a tattoo?"

Rose's eyebrow goes up and there's a twinkle of amusement in her eyes, "You seventeen?"

"Uh, yes." Lyra says, then holds up the ID card that had arrived in a ministry package early this morning.

Rose takes the card and inspects it, "Happy birthday. Just you today?"

Well, no backing out now. "Thanks, yeah, just me."

"Have any idea what you want?"

"Umm, something small... maybe that relates to horses."

Rose looks back up at her, handing back the ID, "Are you looking for a muggle or magic one?"

"Er..."

"You can do both?" Zara speaks up from behind her.

Fay cuts in after, "What's the difference?"

Rose pulls her short sleeves up so they bunch up over her shoulders shirt, Lyra catches an intricately drawn carousel that actually spins just above her armpit, where the shirt ends. "Magic tattoos can usually change colors, move around the body, change, etc. We use magic ink specifically for them."

She gestures to glass vials behind the desk then points to the other side where there are different ink canisters in plastic bottles. "And those are for the muggle tattoos."

"Does one hurt more than the other?" Lyra wrings her fingers, hoping to get some heat back into her hands.

"If it's something minimalistic, it'll hurt less. It also depends on where you decide to have it done. Calves, shoulders, and arms are less painful while ribs, stomach, wrists, and the neck are more painful. Muggle tattoos might need to be gone over again within a few months. Magic tattoos usually stick better, the ink is stronger."

When Lyra doesn't respond, Rose comes back out from her desk and leads her to a wall, pointing at the papers stuck to it. "Here are some of the smaller designs. Both muggle and magic, and over here are animal related ones."

Lyra stared up at the wall, many of them were simple designs, with just one line that curved and turned to create something, she liked those. She also liked the ones made of smaller shapes, it was nearly impossible to tear her eyes away from the dog made up of small geometrical shapes.