chapter 5

chapter 5

"they don't know what you've done to my heart
they can say anything they want 'cause they don't know about us"

  -One Direction

Lyra was looking around the Great Hall when she arrived at the Gryffindor table. The Sorting Ceremony had begun and Harry Potter was nowhere to be seen. And Lyra may not be an actual Order member but since her recovery this summer, both from her injuries and her depression, she had practically been guaranteed a spot as soon as she turned seventeen. She knew that the twins were already official and Ginny had been granted the same as her, maybe even the others from the Ministry battle.

Tonks, Mad Eye, and her dad had practically promised it, which she considered a huge deal. And of course, her task as a pre-Order member, everyone's task really, as to watch out for Harry this year, something that was proving to be quite difficult when the boy didn't even arrive at Hogwarts properly.

She contemplated how bad it would be to interrupt the Sorting ceremony and feast just to make sure he was ok. But when looking up at the faculty table she saw Dumbledore turn to Snape, who stood to leave. Dumbledore then looked towards her and sent the Gryffindor table, specifically her and the Weasleys the smallest nod.

It was enough for now and she tried to stay calm until the doors opened again and Harry walked into the Hall, nose bleeding.

"Merlin, what happened to him now?" She muttered to Ginny and Fay who looked up at him as he made his way towards Ron and Hermione, who sat in front of them.

She heard distantly what the others were telling him but Harry seemed tightlipped about it, especially with so many students still staring at him. She didn't bother interfering, but he was definitely going to make her task a lot more difficult than she hoped.

Lyra finished her meal instead, talking softly with Fay while Ginny turned back and forth from them to Seamus and Dean, who she was apparently dating now.

Dumbledore stood soon after Lyra finished her treacle tart. "The very best of evenings to you!"

Gasps flew across the Hall when he spread his arms out and Lyra stared opened mouths at his blackened and dead-looking right hand.

"Nothing to worry about," he said airily, shaking his robes' sleeve to hide it from view. "Now... to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you..."

"What do you think happened?" Fay asked from beside her.

Lyra shrugged, "Some kind of old, complex magic. Dark magic maybe?"

Fay and her looked back up at his hand, only his fingertips visible now.

"...and Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes."

Lyra smirked, shooting a wink at Fay when she looked at her expectantly. "You brought them, didn't you?"

"Of course I did. I made the promise to the twins."

"Yeah... one that could get you expelled."

Lyra rolled her eyes, "Please, no one actually listens to Filch."

"Those wishing to play for their House Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise."