chapter 28

chapter 28 - Lyra's Interlude

"I'm just a kid. I never use my brain,
I only use my heart and my imagination."

-Current Joys

*warning: physical altercation*

"This is a bad idea," Fay said, pacing in front of the blackboard. "Lyra, I know what you're thinking right now and you need to know that this is a really bad idea."

"Fay," Lyra heaved a breath, resting her elbows on her knees as she stared at the blackboard, ignoring the billowing of Fay's red skirt as she continued to walk in front of it. "I know it's a bad idea, but we can't not do it."

From next to her, Lyra heard Zara inhale deeply and turned to face her, "Oh, not you too."

"Look Lyra, you have a bleeding heart and a hero's mind--"

Ginny snorted, "Poetic."

"And," Zara continued with a pointed glare and Ginny, "We love you for it. But... this is dangerous. It could get you killed."

Lyra pushed herself to her feet, "Zara, anything happening this year can get any one of us killed. But if there's even the slightest chance that we can save someone from that, we need to take it."

She glanced at Neville and Ginny, both looking back at her with set expressions. Everyone else in the room still looked skeptical.

Hannah Abbott spoke up, "Lyra. These are the Slytherins we're talking about. I mean, look at the method Slyvia took to even tell you about it. If that doesn't scream danger..."

Lyra looked away at the terrifying faces of those around her, she wasn't exactly sure how she felt about all of this yet either.

It had been an awful Muggle Studies class when Slyvia had called after her. Lyra wasn't sure what to expect as the girl neared her until they were face to face and everyone else had cleared a large space between themselves.

Lyra was falling down the stairs from the fourth to the third floor, her arm hooked around Slyvia Nigel's.

In grunted words, as they continued to fall, Slyvia spoke, "My--my half, urg, Sis-er. She's a-a mu--lleborn. Ow!"

Finally, they collapsed on the third floor, heaving as they pulled themselves to their elbows. "I need you to get her out. The older Slytherins are threatening to out her to the Carrows."

Both girls stared at each other before glancing up at the stairs, the rumbling sound of the rest of their seventh-year class spurred them into action.

"Hit me again," Lyra muttered, "And keep talking."

Slyvia launched herself at Lyra again, "My dad remarried after divorcing my mom."

Their voices dropped to grunted whispers as they were soon surrounded by students who loudly watched on, jeers and gasps sounded as Sylvia and Lyra exchanged punches.

Slyvia was bent over her, landing another hard punch to Lyra's jaw. "He is a muggleborn and he married a muggle. Their kid-- my sister. She's here and in Slytherin. The Carrows are starting to ask questions and I overheard some of the other seventh years say they would tell them about her and all of the muggleborn Slytherins."

Lyra pushed herself up and drove a left hook at Slyvia, who grunted and fell back, giving Lyra just the leverage she needed. "How do I know you're not lying?"