chapter 16

chapter 16

"sin so thick you can't see the stars
can't tell good and evil apart"

-Ruelle

Ron and Hermione were red faced and panting as they stood in front of her. "We need your help. Right now."

Lyra smiled good naturedly despite the hard pounding in her chest, "What did you two do now?"

"Lyra, this really isn't the time for jokes. Harry told us to go to you if anything happened while he and Dumbledore were gone. You, Ginny, Neville, and Luna."

"Ah, so the Cavalry Clan is regrouping," The joke fell flat and Lyra realized that they really were not messing around. She cursed before dropping her school bag and books behind a statue. "What happened?"

The three began a fast pace towards the Gryffindor common room, where she assumed the others would be waiting.

"Harry and Dumbledore went somewhere, we assume for an Order mission. Harry thought for sure that Malfoy would be planning something to happen tonight, when Dumbledore would be gone a—,"

"Wait, Malfoy?"

"We thought it was ridiculous too but Harry's been insistent all year and there is some evidence pointing to Malfoy being a death eater."

"Normally we would tell him he was bonkers but we've never seen Harry so disheveled. I think he was serious this time."

They finally made it to the common room, rushing towards Neville, Luna, and Ginny who stood at the entrance, waiting for them.

"So what's the plan?" Neville asked.

"All Harry said was to keep a lookout, just in case something were to happen."

"Ok," Lyra said, taking a deep breath, "we know that Tonks, Bill, McGonagall, and Snape are on the grounds. One of us will find them and call the rest of the Order as backup--"

"Harry said we should keep a lookout on Snape too. He might be involved." Hermione cut her off.

Ron nodded and continued for Lyra, "Then we should have two others looking out for Snape."

"I'll do it." Luna said and Hermione nodded, "Me too."

"Did Harry say where Malfoy might be?" Neville asked.

"Room of Requirement. And he'll definitely have help. We aren't sure if it'll be Goyle and Crabbe or Nott and Zabini."

Lyra felt her fists tighten and took another deep breath hoping she was calm enough to stop her voice from shaking.

"So, I'll get in touch with the Order members. Luna and Hermione will watch out for Snape. Ginny, Ron, and Neville will keep an eye on the Room of Requirement."

"Lyra, someone should go with you too."

Lyra shook her head. "I'll be fine on my own. I'll catch up with Luna and Hermione when I'm done."

With one last nod between the group, they dispersed. Lyra immediately ran towards McGonagall's office where she found the three she was looking for.

"Lyra." Tonks said, rising towards her, "Is everything ok?"

"Something is going to happen tonight." When the group looks ready to interrupt, Lyra holds a hand out, "No, I know you all want details that I don't have or you're going to say everything's fine but nothing has been fine this entire year. Harry and the rest of us are sure that something is going to happen and I really need you to believe me right now and set up defenses or patrols because I can't lose anyone again because the Order wasn't prepared for an attack that a group of teenagers saw coming."