chapter 21

chapter 21

"And if you feel the great dividing
I wanna be the one you're guiding
'Cause I believe that you could lead the way"

-Banners

The gold chairs were cast aside with the wave of a wand, as well as the white cloth surrounding the marquee.

In the blink of an eye, Lyra was standing beneath a canopy supported by golden poles, with a beautiful view of the sunlit orchard and surrounding countryside. A pool of molten gold spread from the center of the tent to form a gleaming dance floor and white-clothed tables replaced the chairs they had been sitting in.

Waiters appeared on all sides, offering drinks and mini-tarts.

"Ohh," Lyra cooned, taking a glass of champagne and a raspberry tart.

Tonks laughed before pulling her towards the couple, "Let's go say congrats."

"Alright, alright," Lyra said through a mouthful of the pastry.

They only managed to squeeze the couple into a small hug and give their congrats before they were whisked away and Lyra pulled Tonks to the table Elliot and Remus had found. Zara was there too, Lyra practically tackled her in a hug when recognizing her.

Soon after, music began in a soft waltz, and Bill and Fleur took to the dance floor, greeted with loud cheering.

Their parents joined soon after, followed by more guests and the music took a faster pace. Lyra, Zara, and Tonks soon joined, jumping and swaying across the dance floor to their hearts' content.

It was the happiest Lyra had felt in months. A newly discovered stiffness in her spine loosening as Luna joined them, then Ginny, then Ron and Hermione. And she laughed freely for the first time in what felt like ages.

Ron and Hermione soon disappeared into the crowd again and Tonks left to find Remus. Leaving Zara, Ginny, Lyra, and Luna to dance on their own, weaving between each other, then Mr. and Mrs. Wealsey, who looked younger and more joyful than Lyra had ever seen. And then with Bill and Fleur, who never seemed to take their eyes off each other.

Eventually, Lyra was practically sweating through her dress, feet aching in her matching pink heels. She and Zara collapsed in their seat while Luna and Ginny were still somehow dancing.

"I don't think we've done that since the Yule Ball, like three years ago," Zara said, taking her glass of butterbeer from earlier.

Lyra giggled, propping her legs on Zara's chair and taking a bottle from a nearby waiter, "I know!"

The two girls began chatting away as if they hadn't been apart for a day in their lives and conversation like this was the most natural thing in the world

Until Lyra's attention was pulled to the whispered conversation between Remus, Tonks, and Elliot.

"They've been quiet since our mission. Shaklebolt says there's no noise at all."

Lyra leaned, nodding along to what Zara was saying. "Well we all know that means, there's an attack soon. We have to be ready."

The voices dropped to an even lower whisper and Lyra had to turn her head to keep up with the conversation. "Think they'll go for Hogwarts?"

"No, they have full control of Hogwarts already. It's the Ministry we should worry about."

"You joined." Zara pulled her attention from them, "Didn't you?"