Chapter Seven

"Hi Sophie I'm Felix. It's nice to finally meet you...finally" Felix gave her a big smile "Ahh the best friend...it's nice to meet you too" She replied smiling "This is Ellie" Nico added smiling sitting on his bed with Ellie "You're right she's tiny" Felix chuckled "It's because she's human dumbass" Jane said to Felix as she took a seat beside Nico and Ellie on the bed "Language please. There are children in the room" Sophie chided gently. Demetri reassembled Ellie's crib whilst Jane helped Sophie to unpack hers and Ellie's stuff. Nico read to Ellie to keep her occupied.

That night once Nico and Ellie were in bed Demetri sat Sophie down on the sofa "Sophie we need to talk" "That doesn't sound good Dem" Sophie looked a little shocked and moved away from him "No, no Sophie. It's nothing like that, I promise" He quickly reassured her and pulled her into him "I wanted to tell you about the reason for my trip away last weekend...because it wasn't for work" "Oh...ok, so it was a personal trip" She replied and he tightened his hold on her a little "I meant what I said in the week, I love you and I will always protect you and our children and in order to do this I needed to deal with a 'problem'..." "What problem was that Dem?" She asked cutting him off and he took an unneeded breath before answering "I wasn't able to protect you when you needed protecting the most..." Sophie placed a hand on his cheek "Dem we've been over this..." "I know that I didn't know you then but it was hard for me to hear that you experienced something like that and that you no longer felt safe. I mean you moved to the other side of the world because of it and part of me is happy you moved here as I finally got to meet my mate...but the other part of me is angry..." "I know how you feel Dem because I feel the same. I mean I hated being in Seattle after that night, it's why I moved because I didn't feel safe there...but moving here meant I found you and I want you to know I feel safe with you, even if I am in a castle full of vampires" She couldn't help chuckling at the last part and he smiled at her "I'm really happy to hear you feel safe with me and I'm hoping that what I tell you next doesn't change that" He took another unneeded breath "Last weekend I tracked down and killed the human that harmed you" "H-how? I-I don't even know who he is...was" She was shocked, curious at how Demetri had found him "The night you told me about what happened I held you in my arms whilst you slept...and I had a look through your mind and found the tenor of that human and with the help of Felix and the twins I ended his life. The kings are aware of the reason for my trip..." "They know what happened to me?" "No. No, I didn't tell them directly, but I told them enough for them to fill in the blanks...I told them I needed you to feel safe and for that to happen a human needed to be dealt with. They agreed I could do that as long as I covered my tracks" "Oh. So, you just k-killed...him" Her voice was low and shaky "I won't tell you the details, but he is dead" "I-I want to you to answer m-my next question honestly, ok?" Demetri nodded unsure if he liked where this was going "D-did he suffer?" "Yes" "Tell me...please" She asked low "Jane made me promise to allow her to 'play' with the human before I killed him so she and her brother used their gifts on him. When they were done, Felix held him down and I broke his hands and ribs whilst Alec broke his feet and then Felix broke his arms. After most of his bones were broken and he was screaming from the pain...I snapped his neck" "Wow. Y-you did that for me?" "Yes. I won't lie to you though cara but I also did it for me. I feel better, calmer now that he is dead; knowing that he is no longer a risk to you or anyone else" "Thank you for doing that for me...for us" She leant forward and kissed him "I love you Dem, so much" He kissed her back "I love you too, more than you know." He held her in his arms that night as she slept, happy knowing that she understood his reasons for killing that human.

Demetri, Felix and the twins had been away on a week-long mission and were due back any day now. Nico had spent some time in the south facing garden with Chelsea and Heidi whilst Sophie tried to catch up on some sleep whilst Ellie was napping, having been up most of the night before due to Ellie teething. After an hour Heidi left Nico in the garden with Chelsea as she had to finalise the numbers for the upcoming 'tour,' passing Afton on her way into the castle. A little while later Nico came running into Demetri and Sophie's shared room crying and climbed into bed beside Sophie, who woke up instantly "Oh sweetie, what's wrong?" She asked softly "Af-Aton said I-I was a mistake...th-that Daddy did-didn't...want me" He sobbed and she pulled him into her, wrapping her arms around him "Don't listen to Afton, you were not a mistake sweetie" "B-but Daddy didn't love her...not like he loves you" Sophie knew who Nico meant "Daddy may not have loved her but he did care for her...she passed away after you were born and he called Auntie Heidi, who took care of her whilst he took care of you" "R-really?" "Yes, sweetie, Daddy told me about the night you born and how happy he was when he found out that he had a son, especially as he never thought he'd get to be a Dad once he became a vampire" Nico lifted his head a little and Sophie wiped away his tears with her thumbs "Are you ok?" She asked softly and he shook his head "Af-Afton also said th-that although y-you're with Daddy...y-you aren't my-my mummy and...and you don't r-really care for me" "Look at me sweetie" She gently cupped his face in her hands, her thumbs brushing away his tears "I may not have given birth to you but you are my son and I am your mummy" "Re-really?" "Yes, as far as I am concerned, I have two children and I love you both very much and that will never change" "I love you too mummy" Nico replied through his tears and Sophie's heart swelled at hearing him call her that for the first time; she wrapped her arms around him again and held him close, both falling asleep shortly afterwards.

Unbeknown to Sophie and Nico Demetri, Felix and the twins had returned to the castle and were at the bottom of the stairs that led up the elite guard floor when they heard Sophie and Nico talking, they didn't move, instead choosing to listen to their conversation "I'm going to kill him" Demetri growled low, turning around on the stairs "Later D" Felix said grabbing his arm "Go shower and spend time with Sophie and the kids. Afton will be still about tomorrow" Demetri growled "He's right, leave him be for today, get your revenge during the training session tomorrow. You can rip him apart without getting into trouble" Alec said, his lips pulling into a wicked grin "As long you leave enough pieces for him to be reassembled" Jane added and Demetri nodded "Fine...but during training his ass is mine" Demetri growled and walked into his room ready to take a shower.

Once Demetri had showered, he crossed the hall into the Nico and Ellie's shared room and carefully lifted Ellie from her crib and cradled her in his arms breathing in her scent before crossing the hall back to his and Sophie's shared room. He closed the door softly, locking it and walked over to the bed; he carefully climbed in and readjusted Ellie so her chest was against his and held her whilst she slept. He looked down at his sleeping mate and children and smiled 'my beautiful family' he thought to himself and closed his eyes relaxing knowing they were safe with him.