curiousity killed the cat

"Hello, mother. Did you happen to take grandmother's earrings from my jewellery box today? Oh, you did? That's a relief! Okay, I'll see you when you get back. Take care." You relaxed, letting out a big relieved sigh and placing the home phone on the table.

The strange formalities raised Saiki's curiousity. Why were you so formal with your family? And so, curiously killed the cat. Saiki went into your memories. A lot of discipline training, yelling, screaming, shouting. Your dad and mum. Court trials, divorce. Your mother took full custody and moved as far away from your dad as possible, settling here.
That would explain the sudden flinching when I went to touch her cheek and also falling for Hairo after that one act of affection.

*

Strange things have been happening since I took off those earrings. Maybe grandmother was right. Maybe they do protect me.
You burst out laughing.
That's so stupid! There's no way that's true.

Oh crap! I completely forgot to ask why Saiki wasn't at school. Scratch that, I forgot to ask anything at all. Gah! Why are you always so awkward?
You rushed to your door.
I probably talked to him once that whole walk home. You rushed to put on your shoes, trying to shove them on without having to undo your laces.

You grabbed your keys in a hurry and rushed out the door.
He couldn't have gotten that far, right? It's been what? 3 minutes?
2, actually.
You remember him walking toward the left when you said bye so you headed left.
This would be so much easier if I had his number.

I am actually right behind her. Invisible. I was waiting outside until her mum got home so I could get this over with.
Not reading her mind seems like a better option now anyway. Her pointless compliments only made me suffer the past few times. Flirting with me but not actually flirting. Good grief.