near death experience #57

"I'll catch up with you tomorrow, Ku!" You had rushed out of school, barely getting your shoes on. Your mum had finally found the earrings. They were returned to her from your father. With the time you spent with Saiki's mother, you had picked up the adorable nickname for him.

When you entered the house, you could hear talking echo from your living room. You took your shoes off, slowly making your way inside.
"Mother. Father," you smiled and bowed your head down, greeting your parents.
You hadn't seen them together in one room since the divorce. After some small talk, he gave you a little box containing your earrings.

You stood in front of your mirror in your room, the earrings dangling in your ear.
They're fake. you
You jumped, your hand reaching for your heart.
"Saiki, what the hell? You scared me! What are you doing here?"
I wanted to make sure you didn't die on your way home. Then, I heard your dad's thoughts. you

*

I've wanted my hands on those jewels for years. They're worth millions on the black market. That old hag made it harder than it needed to be. (father)
The "hag" he was referring to was your grandmother who had put your name as the rightful owner for those earrings in her will.
Your father had hired people to get their hands on the jewel, promising them money after he sold them. Lucky for you, the guy you liked was a psychic and he had already teleported to your father's hotel room to return the earrings to you.

*

You weren't surprised. Your father was unreliable.
"Ah. I could've guessed. They're much lighter and they feel cheap too." You let out a sigh.
Are they in his hotel, Ku?
He teleported into your room, giving you a scare. You took a step back in reflex from the sudden appearance, tripping on your hairbrush and falling backward.
Oh crap.

He caught you. Of course he did and you felt more and more indebted every time he saved you.
You don't owe me anything. you
Yeah, except for my life like 52 times.
57 but no one's keeping count. you
You paused.
Ha ha.

You were too busy thinking about your father's betrayal and your conversation with Saiki to realise that his hand was tightly securing your waist. Your hand rested on his chest and you could feel his heartbeat against your palm.

For a second, you imagined his other hand brushing over your cheek and gently running the back against your cheek. This image of your imagination had filled Saiki's mind through his telepathy, causing both yours and his cheeks to instantly turn pink. He stood you up, his cheeks completely pale as if you had just imagined it and his eyes lay blankly on yours.

He can only read my mind, right? He can't see what I'm imagining, right? He didn't see this, right?
See what? you
Oh, thank god.
There's a problem. I teleported to get your earrings but as soon as I held them to teleport back with me, my powers stopped working. you
"Of course they did", you sighed in frustration. You paced around your room as the thoughts invaded your mind. You didn't want Saiki to be stuck with you any longer. You had felt bad. He deserved to have a life that didn't revolve around keeping some stupid girl alive.
Maybe I'm better off dead.

Your mirror shattered causing you to yelp and flinch back. Saiki rested his palm against your chest, pushing you back enough until you hit the wall a few inches back. His glare pierced into your eyes.
I didn't put in all this effort keeping you alive for you to give up on me. you

"Are you okay, honey?" you heard your mother call from downstairs and with the turn of your head towards your mother's voice, he was gone. You had become paralysed in your spot, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Your mirror was back as if it was untouched and your psychic crush was nowhere to be seen.
"I'm fine, mother!"

Your father had left. You didn't tell your mother the truth.
She has too much on her plate right now.