turn of events

After the trip, the class felt lighter. Everyone was more relaxed from the well-deserved break. You had decided to apologise to Saiki for trying to rush what you had. You thought a lot over it and realised that Saiki doesn't have all the answers, especially regarding his feelings. You felt bad for pushing on the idea of a mutual crush so you recited the apology in your head, oblivious that he could hear from the next room over.

Good grief.
It was enough to bring an unwanted smile on his face.

*

The door slid open during your math class.
"There's someone here to pick you up", the teacher said, smiling directly at you. You were confused. Who would want to pick you up at the middle of the day? Still, you followed the teacher into the office.

There, stood two large men in black suits.
"Come with us," one of them ordered, "we have what you're looking for."
What I'm looking for?
"Oh, my earrings?" you questioned, confused but filling to the brim with hope.
"Yes. Follow us." The other man demanded.
"Why can't you just give them now?"
"Do you want them back or not?"
Saiki, are you getting this? No response.
The earrings must be close.
They were blocking the communication between you and the psychic.
Damn it. You followed them cautiously.

They had a black limousine waiting outside the school.
What the hell?
You couldn't trust them.
"Where are we going?" No response. You couldn't run now, you were so close to the earrings but your gut told you to bolt in the opposite direction. As you approached the car, you thought of all the times Saiki went out of his way to save you.
He's done too much. I can't burden him any longer. You shook your head, entering the vehicle. You got this.

*

The bell rang, signalling the end of the school day. Saiki called the psychic kids to assemble once again. He explained how you left during school and he couldn't find you anywhere, even with clairvoyance (the ability to view objects or people anywhere). Mikoto tried her luck, hitting against things and dancing to activate her powers.
"I can't sense her anywhere either."
They turned to their last option.

After questioning around to spirits in the area, Toritsuka came to report his findings.
"Okay, apparently she got in a car with two big dudes and they left on the highway that leads out of town. Seems like they were going far. I might be able to get more information if I meet spirits around the highway."
As soon as he finished his sentence, Saiki had teleported the trio onto the side of the highway. He wasn't going to lose you now. Not after all the work you put in to keep surviving. Toritsuka began questioning again.
Good grief. This is such a nuisance. Why would that girl get in the car with two strangers?
"I know where she is." Toritsuka finalised.