fin

"Ku!" You wrapped your arms around him, hugging him tightly. He rolled his eyes, pretending not to enjoy the embrace.

Good grief.

The two of you sat on the bench, facing the empty park. You swung your knees back and forth, your hands holding on the either side of the bench trying to think of a conversation starter.
What about 'I give you my thanks for saving me, kind sir'? No, what are you? In the 15th century?
No, how about 'thanks dude'? No way! You're not his best mate from childhood!

*

It had been a week since the incident and you had finally had your bittersweet reunion with your earrings. However, it turns out your grandmother knew that you weren't the powerful being that was to be born on August 16. She had made her coven believe you were so she could get their help in creating a protection spell for you. Her intentions were only ever to protect you but when her spirit was away from you for so long, it had triggered her backup plan that would make sure you were accompanied with a new guardian spirit to take her place.

Toritsuka informed you a week after that your bad luck of running into death was no longer inevitable as you had gained a new guardian spirit. Mikoto no longer saw the mark of death tattooed on your face. You did not need the earrings anymore and you felt it was time for you to let go, and so you did, locking them safely in their jewellery box.

With the mark of death no longer acting as the glue for you and Saiki's friendship, you had feared that he wouldn't feel the need to be around you. So you called him to the park for what you'd assume would be your final goodbye.

*

Oh yeah, just tell him the truth, why don't you? Just say 'thank you for saving me even if you don't like me. Thank you for protecting me when you didn't have to. Thank you for showing me that I'm capable of love. Thank you for being my saviour, Kusuo Saiki'.
His face softened, his eyes slightly widening. He bought his palm to his face, quickly hiding his blush while he used pyrokinesis to direct the heat elsewhere.

Good grief.

Your eyes widened at the sudden realisation. You had your earrings on for about 5 days before T told you about your new guardian spirit so you had completely forgot that he could read your thoughts again.

"Uhh.." you began, trying to form sentences and excuses for what you had just thought.
"I know the answer now", Saiki spoke.
Woah. I've never heard him actually speak with his voice before.
"The answer?" You questioned, turning yourself to face him.
His eyes stared straight forward, avoiding contact with yours.
"I like you, too." He confessed.