Chapter 17- Daniel's Birthday

After the country club fiasco, Daniel and Y/N went to Mr. Miyagi's house to go see him. After finding him drunk and rambling on about the death of his wife and reading a letter they found informing him of it, Daniel and Y/N both decided to stick together and train. They were going to do it for Mr. Miyagi.

Y/N practically threw herself into practicing with Daniel. Sometimes she would train by herself just so she had something to take her mind off of what happened. She wasn't mad at anyone for what happened, except for David of course but she wasn't mad at Ali and she wasn't mad at Johnny. She was just hurt. At the end of the day, Johnny was one of her closest friends and she didn't want to lose him. 

She stopped talking to him, again but she wasn't doing it on purpose this time. She just didn't talk to him or the boys, instead spending every minute with Daniel and every day after school practicing with Mr. Miyagi.

Johnny, on the other hand, didn't know how to approach the situation. The boys were understandably pissed off with Johnny about what he did. Johnny may have not have seen it but the boys saw Y/N's mean hook to David's jaw. They had even told him this. It only made him all the more miserable. He wanted to talk to Y/N so bad but he just didn't know how to do it or what to say.
-----------------------------------------
"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Daniel-San. Happy birthday to you." Mr. Miyagi sang as he walked into the room with a cake. Today was December 18th, meaning it was Daniel's birthday and exactly one day before the All Valley tournament. 

Y/N and Daniel were wearing party hats and blowing party horns as Mr. Miyagi placed the cake onto the table. Y/N clapped while Mr. Miyagi gave a small laugh. "Make a wish." Mr. Miyagi instructed, gesturing to the 19 burning candles. "Oh wow. I know what I'm wishing for." Daniel stated, making Y/N chuckle. Daniel inhaled sharply before blowing out all the candles. 

Mr. Miyagi and Y/N clapped. "Very good, Daniel-San. Here." Mr. Miyagi said as he reached under the table. He picked up a neatly wrapped box and handed it to Daniel. "Number 1 present." Mr. Miyagi stated. "Oh Mr. Miyagi, what'd you do? You didn't have to do this." Daniel insisted as he took the box. "What is this?"

Daniel unwrapped the box and pulled out a white gi with a bonsai tree printed on the back. "Wow look how cool it is." Y/N complimented, staring at the gi. "Yeah, Mr. Miyagi this is great. Where did this come from anyway?" Daniel asked as he ran his fingers over the material. "Mrs. Miyagi make long time ago." Mr. Miyagi answered, his eyes shining with unshed tears. "If you ever want this patch back, I'll understand," Daniel stated, rubbing his hand over the bonsai. Mr. Miyagi smiled. "I know you understand. Try on."

Daniel slid the gi over his shoulders. "Do you think I stand a chance at this tournament?" He asked as he adjusted the gi. "Doesn't matter what Miyagi think. Miyagi not fighting." The older man answered as he ate some cake. "I just don't know if I know enough karate," Daniel stated. "Feeling correct."

Y/N chuckled at Mr. Miyagi's reply as she took a bite of cake. "You get license?" Mr. Miyagi asked. Daniel nodded. "Yeah, yeah." He replied pulling out his wallet. He pulled the license out, making a small picture fall out with it. It was a picture of Daniel and Ali together. Mr. Miyagi, seeing the picture picked it up and stared at it. "Never knew you had sweetheart." He stated, handing the picture back to Daniel.

"Oh no, I don't." Daniel retorted bitterly. "Look good together. Different but same." Mr. Miyagi said. Daniel shook his head. "No different but different," Daniel replied. Mr. Miyagi tsked. "Too bad mother not here."

Daniel's eyes widened. "Oh shoot! Shoot! Damn it! Mr. Miyagi I've gotta go meet my mother. She was gonna make this surprise cake for me." Daniel rambled as he took the gi off. "Miyagi understand. Go outside for number 2 present." Mr. Miyagi instructed, getting to his feet. "You too, Y/N-San."