Chapter 10 - The Morning After

I woke with the light of the sun in my eyes, kissing Fi's shoulder as I got up

I woke with the light of the sun in my eyes, kissing Fi's shoulder as I got up. It was an instinctive action, like old times. For a second my sleepiness didn't remind me of that boundary.

I grabbed my machete and my belt from her dresser, but just as I was about to leave, I knew that I would regret walking out the door too soon. I turned back around, looking at Fi's body that was curled up with me a few minutes ago. I replaced my spot with a pillow so she wouldn't roll over and hurt herself. When she slept, it was the only time she was calm. That brilliant brain of hers ran a mile a minute and if you stopped for a second, you would miss her. And I was tired of missing her. I leaned down, kissing her forehead lightly.

I walked out, closing the door as softly as I could. But when I looked up, Gally was leaning against his door which was conveniently on the opposite wall.

He didn't look judgemental but he let out a long sigh. He didn't say anything either, but I knew what he wanted to say. He was supposed to have first watched so I wouldn't doubt if he had walked in when I had fallen asleep. "I'm not gonna pretend to understand whatever... that is. But I agreed to protect her. And that means protecting her feelings too. You know what could happen if..."

I cut him off, "Yes, Gally. She's a reminder of it every day."

He sighed, pushing off the wall, and ran his hand over his hair. He put his hand on my shoulder, "They'll kill her and maybe even us."

I pushed him away, "Gally if I could stop it, don't you think I would?"

I walked away with that, not feeling the need to deal with him. All I've wanted to do is protect her. No matter how I felt I wouldn't put my feelings above her life.

--

"How long was I out for?" She asked all of us, awake and demanding answers.

She had woken up again, more lucid than before which only threw her back into reality with a harsh push. Clint came to get us, to save himself from being the one that would have to explain everything.

"Just under five days," Gally answered, crossing his arms to look bigger, bracing for the fight he knew would come.

"You woke up on the fourth night," I told her to help her get a timeline. "And then you fell back asleep for sixteen hours."

She had to grab the wall for support, flinching to help her but Gally got there first. Her head regained its placement, "Ben?" A series of head shakes from Gally, Alby and I was her answer. She knew the rules. She knew he was long gone by now. No one survived the changing or the maze. The grievers always won the battle against gladers. She rubbed her face, going back naturally to what she knew best, "Ben was stung in maze three so it will be back to that shape three days from now. We should retrace his steps."

"Minho and I are going." Alby stepped up with the plan already set.

"I'll come with you." She replied.

Gally scoffed and a wordless whisper floated across all our faces. Each looked at the other, passing a secret around the room. She easily grew frustrated, starting the fight that was bound to come, "What? Did I miss something?"

Alby was the poor fellow that spoke up first, "The council has decided that it would be better for you to stay within the walls for now."

"If you haven't forgotten, I'm on that council." Fiona spit, not liking that this group of boys decided my fate without even caring about her opinion.

"If you need any information about the maze then Minho will get it to you personally," I confirmed, leaning against the wall. Stating only the facts to avoid any further confrontation.

She huffed, Her hand went to her left side with the sudden piercing pain in her chest. "This is ridiculous."

"It's too dangerous and you know it." Gally responded, growing more short-tempered, "When you're back to full health, we can reassess but only after Clint clears you."

"My trips never take more than two hours and I always bring a runner!" She was shouting now. "I was a damn runner in the first place. I don't need to be sheltered."

"You used to bring Ben, Fiona." I shut her idea down, sounding so stern that even I questioned if it was really my voice. The boys looked at me but didn't say anything. Blue opened her mouth but no words came out. I took a deep breath and looked around, felt my face red with embarrassment but I hid it well. "You asked for clearance to go into the maze the same day that Ben was stung. One day earlier and it would have been you. Therefore, clearance denied."

She couldn't bear to stick around after that. She marched out, heading out to the Glade. Gally looked at Alby and I, silently asking for permission, we nodded and he followed her out. Trying to get her to calm down.

-- 

NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR MY BABIES. EVERYONE'S HURTING RIGHT NOW AND ITS HARD FOR ME TO HANDLE.

B