Chapter 48 - A + B

She had been quiet for the entire ride

She had been quiet for the entire ride. We all tried, but she would not speak a word.

She just stared out the window. Watching the sun set behind the mountains. Her mind was the newest maze, trying to sort out versions of her life from before the trials, in the maze, and even now. We'd grown closer, fonder, but it wasn't what it once was.

Cars blocked canyon road before us. Jorge turned the car off, ending our joyride. "Well, I guess we're on foot."

I hopped out of the front seat and opened the back door. That earned a little smile from Fi as she got out herself.

Minho followed her out, patting me on the shoulder. "Thanks, Newt, I love a gentleman."

I rolled my eyes and shut the door. "How are you doing, Blue?"

She kicked a rock on the ground and watched it fall off the edge of the cliff. I sighed, all I wanted is for her to be okay.

"I remember more." She spoke softly. "I remember the reason I went into the maze. Or who I went in for."

"And?" I asked. The waves that her memories returned with were unpredictable. They always affected her mood. Discovering a lost long brother hadn't helped.

"Marcel was in love with a girl named after Harriet Tubman. He went to save them all, but especially her." I reached out for her hand but she stepped back, crossing her arms across her chest like she got a chill. "I went in for a boy previously named Conrad for the same reason. In the maze, Conrad was named after Galileo Galilei. I picked his name myself."

Her voice was separated from emotion. I cannot remember a time when I was broken up with, but I'd imagine it felt something like this. First with a dull ache in the chest, and then the release of ambition. We were on a boat. I'd been trying to keep the water out, but we were sinking nonetheless. And I know what they say about captains and sinking ships.

As usual, when words mattered the most. I was speechless. A bloody ghostwriter in a room full of rebellion-sparking spokespeople. History would call me a coward.

And then the gunshots rang. Echoing through the canyons so I couldn't recall if it was one shot or twelve. A bullet stuck the car next to us, as we dove behind it.

"Take cover!"

"No, thanks, I'd like a bullet in the chest." Minho sassed. You couldn't blame him, Thomas really did have the affinity to state the obvious.

Fiona smirked, which quickly left her face when more bullets shot out. I glanced over the roof, trying to see where the bullets were coming from but she immediately pulled me down. I was the reason for the frown now.

Thomas was smarter with his words. "Is everyone okay out there?

A series of 'we're fine's traveled up and down the canon.