Chapter 12 - Wall of Faces

After the minor argument was over, Gally and I returned to normal

After the minor argument was over, Gally and I returned to normal. That was the deal we always made, fight it out and get it over with. Or else it would bottle up until it exploded on both of us. I sat with him at dinner, knowing it slightly freaked everyone out how we could go from hating each other's guts one minute to getting each other second helpings. They didn't have to get it, but they knew better than to question it.

"You're not allowed to save Thomas again," Chuck announced even though Thomas followed right behind him.

"I'm alright now." I smiled over his shoulder at Thomas, who I would have liked to think looked worse than me. He clearly hadn't slept in days, his cheeks and forehead were red from the sun and his cheek and under jaw were bruised. I didn't doubt that was Ben's handy work as well.

"For the record, I agree with Chuck on this one," Gally added, still not warming up to Thomas.

He messed with his fingers when Thomas finally spoke to me, "I'm really sorry. I would change places with you if I could."

"It's not your fault." I brushed it off.

"Actually can we talk?" Thomas asked, politely, rocking back and forth on his heels. Gally raises his eyebrow, picking at his food in an attempt to not be caught eavesdropping.

"Yeah, sure." I agreed, noticing the serious worry in his voice. "Mind if we meet in like a half hour though? I'm afraid I've been almost a week without showering."

"Oh, yeah. Of course." He nodded as I detached Chuck's arms from my body. "It's good to have you back, Fi."

So far, the only boys that haven't pissed me off today were Chuck and Thomas. They might be the smartest ones in camp. I returned to my room, only to grab a change of clothes and toiletries.

Most of the time I showered during the day. Showering in the dark created a creepy gut feeling. I had originally hoped to be in and out in a matter of minutes. But I was limited because of my injury. It looked just as bad as it felt as black, blue, and purple bruising covered the entire left side of my torso. Even just getting my braid out was a challenge. Any time I tried to lift my left arm my body punished me for it. I shampooed twice after finding dried blood in my hair.