Chapter 50 - All Over Again

A few hours later after being well-fed and warmly dressed

A few hours later after being well-fed and warmly dressed. We all gathered around a fire, exchanging stories with Aris and some of the girls from his maze. Turns out, they figured the maze out three days before us. I was happy for them, after all, it was not a competition or anything.

Over half of their clan that left, made it out. That part stung. Thomas and I lead twenty-one kids into the maze on our last day and only lived to tell about it. Their casualties were only a single digit.

Frypan was telling a story of the night Minho was officially made a runner. They got him so drunk he threw up in Zart's shoe. I liked hearing stories, little parts of me recalled them. I knew in my heart I was there and I experienced it too. It helped that Fry was such a good storyteller.

Minho held his head just thinking about it. "I was so hungover I thought I would die. Spoiler, I didn't run the maze the next day."

Sonya's mouth dropped open, "They sent up moonshine to you? We could barely keep our water from freezing."

"Shuck no! WCKD bastards barely gave me enough toilet paper to wipe my ass." Fry laughed, "Gally and Fiona made a moonshine still in the back."

"How is that even possible?" Aris asked me.

"Corn, sugar, and borderline alcoholism." I laughed, really laughed, for the first time in a long time.

"Sounds like you're maze was... lame." Frypan made a pouty face.

Minho theatrically placed his hand on Fry's shoulder, "Some people just are built for peak survival, Fry, others aren't."

Fry gave a shrug of agreement.

Harriet threw a pebble at Minho, "Our maze was ten times harder than yours. And you guys got a finching child prodigy."

"I would look adorable on ice skates." Minho insisted.

Fry dreamed with him, "I could not agree more, my man."

"I would trade all the moonshine to see it," Newt added.

"Oh and if you got Fi a special kind of drunk she would show us that heartstopping singing voice."

"It was only heartstopping because they haven't heard any other woman sing." I denied their compliments. Surely if I could sing, I would know it by now.

"What a wonderful idea, Fry." Newt stood up, taking my hands and pulling me to my feet. He pulled me close, "You know the words, boys."

The small act sent shivers down my spine, something I was afraid he could feel as he place his hand on my back.

With the stomps of their feet and the bang of sticks, a loose rhythm could be found.

"Look how the light of the town. The lights of the town are shining now. Tonight I'll be dancing around I'm off on the road to Galway now." Newt sang with a nervous smile on his lips.