Chapter 49 - Natural Selection

"They've been planning this for over a year now

"They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us." Harriet told us as we pulled up to a town on tents. Boxes of weapons and other supplies were being loaded into trucks al around us. "You guys are lucky you found us when you did."

"We're moving out at first light." Sonya smiled. She seemed bursting with thankfulness. I hoped we would find that here too. "Where's Vince?"

The passenger pointed up the hill to a man with a beard. He looked in his late thirties and had arms that rivaled Frypans in size.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asked them.

There were a couple dozen people here at most. This is a small militia, not an army. And not a great one at that. WCKD would wipe them out if found, taking us down with them. Minho glanced at me with the same expression. I spoke on behalf of both of us. "I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army."

"Yeah, we were. This is all that's left of us. A lot of good people died getting us this far." The man called Vince answered instead of Sonya, "Who are they?"

"They're Immunes." She explained. "Caught 'em coming up the mountain."

"Did you check 'em?" At least there was no confusion on trust. We didn't trust him and he didn't trust us.

"I know this guy, Aris. I trust him." Harriet vouched on our behalf. She was a sweet and pretty girl, I could understand the attraction of my brother without even knowing him.

"Well, I don't. Check 'em."

Understandable, I would do the same thing. At least this Vince man has at least a quarter of a brain.

"Hey, boss..." One of them called out and nudged his chin in the direction of Brenda, who had been growing paler by the second. That was all it took for the last of her healthy act to fall. She hit the ground, giving in to the illness. She must have been bitten when Thomas and her split from the group.

Thomas once again was stupid for not telling us. We all should have known, in order to properly protect ourselves. Especially since we know now all of us are likely to be immune, Winston's death proved that.

"Brenda! Brenda!" Jorge fell to her side, shielding her from the half dozen guns that were pointed at her. "Brenda, talk to me."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She mumbled. Proving Jorge didn't know either. This was the first time I truly saw Jorge afraid.

"Crank! We got a Crank!" One of the right arm members screamed, making the situation go from bad to worse.

Thomas stepped in front of them as Newt pushed me behind him. I tried to walk back but he held me there.

"Step back!" Thomas ordered Vince. 

"This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet." Thomas insisted, I wave our chance of a good first impression bye.