Chapter 14 - Past Tense

All the boys slept on the lawn that night

All the boys slept on the lawn that night. Even the Keepers, who had private rooms in the homestead. We all step on the grass waiting for those doors to open. It reminded me of the very beginning before we even started construction on the homestead or the gathering room. In the darkest times, we all resorted back to what we knew best, a type of original comfort in the everchanging glade.

I had taken up the responsibility of trying to extend any kind of warmth. Frypan made soup to fill our stomachs, but it couldn't fix the missing space in our hearts for our leaders and our newest member. I wrangled blankets from wherever I could find them. I caught myself drifting into a haze, running my hand over my braid.

"You liked him didn't you?" Newt entered without me even noticing, spit out, I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "Thomas."

"They were all my friends." I pick up a lantern to bring to the next room

"You know what I mean." He claimed, looking around the room instead of at me.

I shook my head in disbelief. "You're the dumbest shank in this maze."

He dropped his arms, "Blue, don't do that. Please don't push me away."

"No. You don't get to do that. I can't let myself be sensitive with you. Not here, not now, not ever. That's not how this works." I pointed between the two of us. "You don't get to be jealous or ask about Thomas when you were the one that broke us off. The audacity that you have to ask me about my feelings when you never cared until someone else was added to the equation. Gally was right." I almost chuckled, "And I'm done."

The shock on his face said more than any words could have. Newt usually was so good at hiding his emotions behind a wall but frail cracks let his thoughts run free, allowing me to see everything on the inside. A sad scared boy that ran out of time.

I turned away from him, I couldn't look at him and say what I needed to. "And I can't do this anymore. I've spent so much energy on hating you to punish my heart for wanting you. I don't have the strength to do it. We can't be partners, we can't be enemies, we can't even be friends. From here on out, we are history."

I turned back around, wiping my cheek but knowing the redness in my eyes was staying. I refused to look at him. I knew that if I did and saw whatever he was going through, I would cave.

I swallowed hard, grabbing the extra blankets and heading to the door. He was quicker though. He slammed the door, trapping me now. I scoffed loudly, annoyance kicking in very quickly. He leaned against the door, crossing his arms.

I closed my eyes, and let a breath out through the clench of my teeth, "Move."

"Why?" He challenged.

"The boys need these." I dryly commented, trying to push past him but he held his ground.

I pushed harder this time, feeling him shift a bit. He blocked my third attempt, making me drop all but one, rolled-up blanket.

I gasped and made the mistake of looking up at him, he was less than a foot away from me. And every nerve in my body knew it. I panicked, trying to keep my brain set on its decision to leave his boy in my past, I swung the blanket.