Chapter 36 - Tell Me How to Love

"First of all, who the hell are you people? And why are you seeing hanging bodies? And why are we special enough for WCKD to go through all this trouble?" All the questions came out in one big blob

"I'm Minho, a good friend of yours. We were all trapped in a maze together." One boy finally introduced himself, he seemed shy or awkward, I couldn't figure out which.

"Why can't I remember any of you?" I looked at each other's faces, attempting to pick out something that might be familiar.

"WCKD, those guys just ran from, they wiped your memories again." The boy they kept calling Thomas spoke in a softer tone with me.

"I'm sorry, back up, did you just say 'again'?"

"They took all of our memories at the beginning of the maze trials. We know nothing about our life before the maze." Minho filled me in.

"Can we get them back?" The silence was loud enough to answer my question. "So there's no plan for me? Do you have a plan at all?"

"You do have a plan, right?" The blonde asked, breaking his silence for the first time to ask Thomas.  "Well, we followed you out here, Thomas and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going... or what we're doing."

The knots in my stomach told me to be careful around that one.

"Wait. Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army." Thomas remembered.

My stress bubbled out into a laugh. "The Right Arm? Please tell me that's a joke. What are we supposed to do to find the left foot too?"

"At least she didn't lose that sass," Frypan commented with a chuckle. One of the tallest boys in the group told me. He had skin the color of chocolate and I had the feeling he gave the best kind of hugs.

I instantly grew defensive of him though. It was a sickening feeling to assume so much on such a small dim lit first glance. "Who the hell are you?"

"Frypan." He held out his hand. Which made me wrinkled my nose, wondering if he was serious about the nickname or just making fun of me at this point. "Sigmund... is my real name so please call me Fry or Frypan."

"Gotcha." I agreed, shaking his hand.

"The Right Arm. If they're really against WCKD, maybe they can help us." Thomas told us hopefully.

"People. In the mountains. Mountain people. That's your plan?" His second in command by the sound of it questioned him.

"It's the only chance we have."

"Hey, guys. Check this out." The skinniest of the boys got our attention, he had barely spoken since he got past the doors. He pointed at footprints in the dust, some that definitely did not come from us. "Someone's been down here."