Chapter 18 - Fionaland

The room cleared out, I figured it was good for me to study tomorrow's open section

The room cleared out, I figured it was good for me to study tomorrow's open section. I didn't want to mess up on my first run. I feared I was going to look like a lost puppy next to Fi no matter what though. I originally came here looking for her but she didn't seem to be in. I hadn't seen either of them since Newt sentenced me to the box for the night.

I heard footsteps outside the door, causing me to look up. I was met by Newt's face, he faltered into a nervous smile, "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt anything. I was looking for someone else."

"Fi?" I questioned, making him stop in his tracks. He looked me up and down. "Hasn't come back yet, you can wait with me if you want."

"Alright." He agreed, staying on the outskirts of the room.

I sparked conversation to distract myself from the awkwardness, "Why did you let her go into the maze again, I mean, I'm sure you could have vetoed that or something."

"Fi's too smart for her own good, not even just this kind of smart-" He motioned to all her statistics and analysis, "She knows what she wants. Sometimes she forgets to explain things to us because she assumes we make the same connections she does. Her brain works differently. It's both intelligent and artistic. She forgets her left and rights sometimes but could run the maze in her sleep. And then there's this light inside her- I'm sure you've seen it- she can make even the most stubborn of us turn as soft as dirt. She fumbles when she reads out loud but can write in a way that makes you feel like you're inside the pages." He hadn't caught himself grinning like a fool yet, but it was sweeter than ever. "Her loyalty gives her tunnel vision, if she thinks that going out into the maze will help her family. Nothing you, me or anyone else says is going to stop that. It's better for her to know I support it then try and hold her back."

"So when did you- you know- fall in love with her?" I smirked, knowing I had him right where I wanted him, with his head in Fionaland.

"Woah," He defeated with his hands up, "What?"

"I may be slow to getting to know things around here, but I'm not that slow." I chuckled, "I mean I'm pretty sure half the camp has a crush on her but you're fifty shades of complicated."

He rubbed the back of his neck, "You keep surprising me, Greenie. It's... just history now." He played absentmindedly with his fingers. "Why do you ask? You uh... have a thing for her?"

"Gally would happily filet me if I did." I joked. He laughed but didn't seem fully at ease. "No. I don't have a thing for her, she's a friend." He nodded, with a silent radiant of pleasure. I broke and asked him about her, "Is it really history? I mean... ever since I noticed you two together now I can't stop noticing it. She walks into a room and I feel like I have to remind you to breathe."

He pulled a chair over and straddled the back of it so he sat on it backwards. "You know when you're running through the maze and you're almost finished, you can see the glade and you have all this built up adrenaline? You're sore, tired, sweaty but you still feel the last bit of energy to get you home? That's what I feel whenever I'm around her. It's like every nerve in my body wants to wrap around her also I know the dangers."