Chapter 8: Perfect

Sitting alone in the garden, I took shelter under the shade of a beautiful willow tree. My back against the rigid bark, I gaze at the hanging branches being swayed by the light evening breeze. My eyes are transfixed on the leafy tendrils, so much so, that if anyone were to pass by, they may believe me to be bewitched. Oh, how I wish I were. After leaving the tower, I found myself with more questions, rather than answers—actually, there weren't any. I lay my head lazily against the tree, recalling my first meeting with the wives.

"Dora." Sulpicia snipped. Her ruby lips are drawn down in a tight frown.

Athenadora purses her lips in response. However, when turning her attention back to me, her eyes become softer with the realization of her words. "Marcus is sweet and loving. His love for our late sister may never fade...but Marcus is an honourable man. His bond with you is proof of your irrefutable fate. You needn't worry yourself." Athenadora stroked my cheek. Her cool flesh is as icy as Marcus's and the other inhabitants of Volterra Castle.

"Dora is right, little bird. Our brother knows the importance and rarity of true mates—he wouldn't so easily throw it away." Sulpicia sipped from a dainty cup—of what substance was inside, I could only make an educated guess.

"I don't want Marcus to take notice of me just because an invisible string says so..." I say with an exhausted breath.

"Well, my dear...whether you like it or not, you and Marcus are fated for eternity. There are no second options, mistakes, nor escaping." Sulpicia eyed me from the rim of her cup. Her demeanor reminded me of Aro—well when his thoughts are occupied with calculative actions. Though, I didn't see that aspect in Sulpicia...if anything, she reminded me of an older sister, but I suppose in a way she is, or would be. Athenadora on the other hand—similar to a sister, but one that chooses when she would be nice, then turn to teasing and overbearing—very much like her husband, Caius.

"Eternity." I almost laugh at the sound of it. In my body—my very much human body, the word continued to feel like an empty promise. We mortals are just as the name implies—subject to death. I don't know how vampires die, if not from the sun, wooden stakes nor garlic, but humans can perish from anything and everything. So, eternity? Even if Marcus promised me such a contract of love, would it really matter when I'm old and grey?

Athenadora and Sulpicia begin to fade away like smoke when something brushes my neck. A few flutters of my lashes and I sober to my surroundings.

"I see you have found a hiding spot. But I hope that notes will be left for me in the future. If not for our bond, I would have been more frantic with your unexplained absence." The familiar rumble of his voice made my heart skip.

"I'm sorry. I didn't really intend to leave the room in the first place. I just...I needed some fresh air—some...new scenery." I search Marcus's cranberry irises. They are as passionately bright as they always are, but I could tell from the crease between his brows that I certainly did shock him with my wandering.

"If you wish to explore while I am away, I can assign you a guard. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you." Marcus leaned down; his nose buried into my hair. I swam in his affection, hoping for something more, but just as every other day, he pulls away from me.

"W-what is it?" I say with a nervous voice. Marcus's face is screwed in confusion as he continues to stare at me silently.

"Have you been in the garden all evening?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I visited Sulpicia and Athenadora."

Marcus's face is blank. I couldn't tell what thoughts ran through his mind, and what accusations were about to shoot from his mouth...but instead, "How ever did you find the tower? It is located in such a remote place in the castle."