Chapter 5: Pity

The feel of Marcus's fingers gently lathering my hair soothed me, sleep beginning to pull me into a dormant state. The heaviness in my lids were hard to fight off, but with a sudden coolness touching my forehead, my eyes shot open. Marcus pulled away to meet my gaze before smiling down at me. "Did I startle you?" He purred.

"No." I stared deep into his eyes...any trace of black could no longer be found. The deep red in his irises mesmerized me...It might have been the pull, but even if it were, I didn't mind at all. "Were you hungry earlier?" I asked innocently.

"Hungry? Why would you think so?" Marcus continued to massage my scalp, nearly making me lose focus.

"You said that your eyes turn black when you're hungry...but they were black earlier—so, I was curious..." I continued to stare up at him, my head reclined against the tubs edge.

His fingers stopped moving, his mind seemingly searching for an answer, but I could see on his face that he was amused by my query. "The throne room was hardly a place to mention this...our eyes turn black when hungry, yes. However, they also darken when angry and when overcome with lust." His lips peeled away, revealing his row of teeth.

"Oh." I diverted my eyes, the indirect confession of his lust made my stomach twist, and the area between my legs began to throb once more. Though, Marcus had informed me that I needn't worry about falling into heat again, as I had already experienced my first climax under its influence.

After my bath, Marcus dried me off...or at least that is what he claimed to be doing—his sensual touches made me think otherwise. Throwing my hair up into a towel, Marcus carried me to the bedroom where my suitcases sat untouched by a wardrobe. Marcus brought the suitcases to me and helped me pick out a new outfit for the Cullen's arrival—which would only be in a mere half hour. I decided on a deep red blouse that hung off the shoulders with long and loose sleeves. For my bottom half, I wanted to wear a pair of black leggings, but Marcus tsked at the tightness of the piece. Instead, I slipped on a black summer skirt that still hugged my curves. Marcus looked me over hungrily, finally agreeing to my second option. With my legs still shaking, I was unsure of how well I would be able to walk. Trying to accommodate to my current situation, I skimmed through my collection of footwear and was unable to find anything suitable. Marcus, however, was quick to pick up a pair of bright red pumps.

"I don't think I have the strength to walk in these." I frowned at the sleek heel.

"You don't have to worry, I'll carry you." What a cheeky bastard. I rolled my eyes, before holding out my hands. Marcus smirked as he lowered himself to the floor. Slightly lifting each leg, he slipped the ruby pumps onto my feet as though I were Cinderella.

"How kind of you, Prince Charming." I joked, but as Marcus rose to meet my face, he laid me back onto the bed, a wide grin plastering his features.

"I'm no Prince, mio caro...I am a King." His long chocolate hair hung over me, and the low growl in Marcus's chest made me want to be back on that sofa outside. Marcus seemed to have understood the quickening of my breath and the drumming of my heart. His face now at my neck, I could feel the cool brush of his tongue against my flesh. His lips following as he sucked and nibbled the area, making it tender. I moaned quietly into his ear, his body becoming stiffer than it already was. Marcus began to grind into me, our clothes wrinkling at the friction, but just as our arousal grew, Marcus pushed away from me. I quickly sat up to see him standing at a far distance, with his hand clasped over his mouth.

"Marcus?" I stared at him, my chest rising and falling rapidly.

His fingers slowly traced over the edge of his lip, and he sucked in an unneeded breath. "That was dangerously close, mio caro..." His blackened irises catching me.