Chapter 4: Lingering

*WARNING* The chapter contains sexual content that may not be appropriate for everyone! Please continue at your own discretion!

          "Mate?"

The word rung through my ears. I've heard that same term used multiple times today, and it only seemed to just now click. Mates...Marcus and I? I suddenly began to feel insecure. Does that mean that when he looks at me, he is attracted? I only thought of it because that was exactly how I saw Marcus. He is incredibly attractive...but I don't even know him. My common sense started to finally kick in, and my awareness of the potential danger of my situation began to dawn on me. I pulled the blanket around me tighter when I heard the subtle shuffle of Marcus approaching.

"Do I not please you?" Marcus's voice whispered dangerously close to my ear, making my face flush instantly.

"It's not—" I could feel my words choking me as I turned, only to be touching noses with Marcus. Out of embarrassment, I pushed him away. "It's not that..." I turned my face away from him, trying hard to calm my restless heart.

"Then?" Marcus sat, still incredibly close to me, but not as close as he was before.

"W-we don't know each other. How could we possibly know for sure that we are mates?" I continued to avoid his stare, but the sudden feel of his hand behind my neck made me break my focus. Startled, my eyes met his yet again, and I felt completely enamored by him.

"Though, I agree that we need to properly get to know each other..." Marcus suddenly appeared over me, his arms on either side, caging me under him. My heart leaped, and my body tingled with an unfamiliar sensation. Marcus grinned at my reaction and brought his mouth close to my ear. "I know that you can feel the pull. Don't deny me, Carena."

I whimpered from under him. This was the first time he has called me by name, making me hang on his every word. As if my name were an enchantment of restraint, I trembled beneath his muscular form, but Marcus chuckled while lifting my chin. "What...what is happening to me?" I continued to whimper at his presence.

Through my haze, Marcus had managed to remove the blanket, and with his knee between my legs, he pressed against me. "This is the mating bond. As the natural dominant, I can make you drown in the ecstasy of my pheromones...however—" The trance on me was quickly lifted, as Marcus continued to stare down at me with his smug expression. "I can easily take it away if you prefer."

"That...right now was the mating bond?" I tried to mask my disappointment. I wasn't sure how exactly to feel about Marcus's ability to control me, but shamefully...I didn't hate it.

"Yes...but I will not use it against your will. This was just to prove to you that our bond is real." Marcus continued to loom over me; his hand gently brushing my cheek, and I quivered at his touch. I could feel a heat between my legs, one that I have never experienced before. Most likely because I remain a virgin—though I would never confess that to Marcus.

"Are all men dominants in mating bonds?" I asked, trying to keep my thoughts from the ache between my legs.

Marcus finally removed himself from me, sitting properly on the sofa. "No, women can be dominants too."

"How do you know that you're the dominant one?" I stuck my legs together tightly, ensuring that Marcus couldn't wedge his leg between me again.

"By instinct." He answered plainly...but upon seeing my confusion he added "It's difficult to understand the feeling when you're not the dominant but believe me when I tell you...I know." Marcus grinned as he eyed my tightly shut legs.