Chapter 20: Vasilica.

I re-enter the bedroom of my mistress. "Oh? Finished already?" Didyme teases, her back facing me. I do not answer, walking towards her with an emptiness in my chest. "Hm?" Didyme questions, turning to find the reason for such silence. I swing my arm slightly forward, tossing a bag towards Didyme—it hitting the floor with a hard crack. "What is that?"

"Marcus." I answer plainly.

Didyme's eyes grow, she slowly stands from her seat, and her eyes never leaving the item on the floor. "Marcus?" She repeats, still processing.

"Yes. Marcus's head to be more specific."

Didyme's eyes shoot to me. An astonished laugh leaving her. "You're teasing."

"Not at all. Would you like to see it?" I offer, reaching down for it—but Didyme quickly grabs the bag and tosses it to the fire. Her eyes bright with wild delight.

She turns to me with a crazed grin. "You have surpassed all expectations. I never knew you had it in you, Carena. Tell me...how do you feel?"

I blink, thinking of the aching in my chest. "It hurts...but I'll survive."

Didyme's smile widens—even her expression greatly exaggerates to the point of being on par with Aro's famous maniacal episodes. "You truly will be a worthy co-ruler." She snickers, grabbing my arms. "Now...let's make things slightly more fun."

Heading towards the tower, Didyme and I plan something for the wives—in all honesty, we could dispose of them, but we stand a better chance of taking over the Volturi with some support from the inner coven. Entering the room, I notice the change in surroundings. Sulpicia and Athenadora no longer reside in the tower—but they have adopted it as an extra space for them to relax and indulge in their hobbies.

"Oh! Sister, Carena...you have decided to stop by so soon? We only saw you a few hours ago. Is there something the matter?" Athenadora tilts her head.

"Nothing at all, sister. Marcus has left us to go meet with your husbands. We just thought that perhaps we should clear the air about our previous conversation. Carena?" Didyme gestures for me to walk forward.

"I am not being forced to sleep with Marcus." I state, both of the wives stare at me blankly.

"Really?" Sulpicia questions.

I take both of their hands, looking between them with a soft smile. "Yes, in fact...I slept with him willingly because I didn't want to be apart from him. I'm glad that I swallowed my pride. Marcus was my everything—my mate."

Sulpicia's brows furrow. "What do you mean...was?"

I look to them with confusion. "Don't you remember? The Romanian coven killed our mates. Leaving us to be the only ones to take the name of Volturi."

Athenadora shakes her head slightly, her eyes going out of focus. "W-what? Our husbands...are?"

I hold their hands more tightly, my gift working its way into their memories—fabricating new history. "Yes. We are the only ones left to rule the vampire world." I say with a firmer voice. "The kings are gone." I affirm. The faces of the wives drop, their minds clouded with an event that didn't ever occur...but they believe it has.

"My Aro. I miss him." Sulpicia sinks into her seat.

Athenadora sniffles, her tears unable to fall. "My Caius—how he suffered in death. I wish he were still here."

Didyme's smile quickly wipes away as she quickly adapts to the situation. "Oh sisters...do not fret. Our husbands were valiant, benevolent, and so much more. It is our duties as their wives and queens to keep our heads for the good of this coven." Didyme spares me a glance.