Chapter 9: Needless Permission

It has only been a mere two minutes since Corin had left to get Aro, and the wives were now in a frenzy. Athenadora sat at her vanity, setting her hair up in a pretty style, while smearing a blush pink gloss over her full lips. Meanwhile, Sulpicia didn't bother with herself, instead, she tried desperately to wipe my face and comb through my own hair.

"Oh, Aro will think we've mistreated you, if he sees the mess you've become while in our care!" Sulpicia sits me up, and begins to apply mascara and lip tint, but I try to squirm away.

"Sulpicia, stop! Isn't it weird for you to doll me up for your husband?" My nose scrunches up, as she holds my face firmly.

"Not at all." Her hand stops with the wand from the lip tint still pressed against my bottom lip. "Why, if Marcus is no good, then shall you try to steal my husband?" Her eyes darken slightly, and I shake my head.

"N-no, I would never!" I spit out nervously.

Sulpicia's darken expression immediately brightens and she continues to apply the tint. "Good! Now, hold still. We don't have much time—"

A knock sounds at the door, with Corin's voice following. "Mistresses. I have brought the Masters."

"Bring them in, Corin." Athenadora orders. She flits to a love seat, draping herself in a seductive—but nearly natural pose.

The door swings open. I brace to see Marcus among them, but he is not. I feel slightly relieved by his absence, but when catching the eyes of two of his brothers...well, I sort of began to miss Marcus's presence even more.

"Aro." Sulpicia lulls in a breathy voice. She stands to greet her husband with a kiss to his cheek. It made me cringe to see Aro so loving, especially since I only see him as a douchebag.

"Il mio amore, your message said life or death, yet everything seems to be quite well." Aro coos into his wife's ear, his arm snaking around her waist and pulling her close to his side. "Or have you missed me so, that you have resorted to tricks." His voice practically drips, and I begin to feel...envious—not of Sulpicia, but of them...their closeness, their witty banter, and just everything that screams he loves his wife. Looking over to Caius I felt even worse.

"My radiant flower." He nuzzles his nose against Athenadora's neck.

"You've left me for so long, Caius." Athenadora pouts, but Caius pulls her face to his.

"And I've regretted every moment away from you, Athena." He purrs before smashing their lips together passionately.

I feel myself curling in. Everyone is so openly loving towards their mates and I am here...without mine. I don't know if my displeasure of their open affections could be seen on my face, but Sulpicia quickly made her proposition.

"Husband..." Sulpicia leans against Aro like a weakened maiden. "You are right, all is well here...but there is a matter where I need your assistance. I hope you will indulge me."

"I shall do whatever you wish, mio amato." He takes Sulpicia's hand, and his eyes cloud with her every thought and memory. Aro blinks needlessly, bringing his focus to me. "You wish to become one of us...without Marcus's consent?"

"I am not Marcus's wife. From what Athenadora had explained to me...even my bond with Marcus is still incomplete as he refuses to lay with me. I do no need Marcus's input for what I decide to do with my own life." I say bitterly, but more confidently than I had felt in hours since my fall-out with my supposed mate.