Chapter 15: Wife Over Mate.

Marcus and I roll around in our sheets, just absorbing the essence of the other—like we were going to forget our love if we stopped touching for even a second. I manage to swing my leg over, straddling my mate, who stares up to me with a smile.

            "You're gorgeous, my love." He whispers, combing his fingers into my hair.

            I melt into his touch with a sigh of satisfaction. "As are you." I stare down at him with my ruby eyes—vampirism certainly has changed me. Marcus would often talk about the overwhelming sensation of our bond, but after being turned, I felt them too. At first it was like waking up to thousands of alarms—everything was jumping into my face, and all sorts of sound rang in my ears causing me to feel overstimulated. But the soft hums of a violin calmed and grounded me to my surroundings. My Marcus knew what to do. "I love you, Marcus."

            Bringing my face closer to his, Marcus breathes against my lips. "I love you, Carena."

            I stood in front of the mirror, fixing my hair, and straightening out my dress. My skin is deathly pale, and my hair appearing longer—healthier. Not to mention, the old scars on my body have disappeared with my new immortality. "I don't remember ever buying this dress." I say, eyeing the unfamiliar cut and fabric.

            "My sisters bought this for you. Everyone anticipates your awakening."

            I meet his eyes in the reflection of the mirror. "Are they alright?"

            "They were unsettled...but they are strong women and they worried more about you than themselves." Marcus soothes while rubbing my arms.

            "And...what about..." I turn, facing Marcus with worried eyes.

            "Gone. They will never hurt you ever again." Marcus affirms, pulling me tightly into his arms. "Let's not spare them another thought—our family is waiting to see you." I smile lightly, with a nod.

            Despite my enhanced speed, Marcus and I walk down the hall slowly—almost humanly, as we had before I was turned. We hold our hands tightly as we make our way down the corridor but are quickly met with Demetri who seems to fight with fear and excitement upon seeing me. "Master. Carena." He quickly bows.

            "What is the matter Demetri?" I query, seeing his unusually dishevelled state.

            "Uhm..." He peeks up, looking toward Marcus. Hesitation evident on his face.

            "Go ahead." My mate says authoritatively.

            Demetri swallows. "I think it is best to show you, rather than tell you...please follow me to the throne room." Marcus and I look to each other with confusion, but we follow Demetri. Coming to the doors of the throne room, Demetri throws them open, announcing us. "Master Marcus and Lady Carena have arrived."

            "Little bird!" Sulpicia cries, flitting to me. "Thank goodness you are alright!" She pulls me into her, her strength no longer too much for me to handle.

            "Oh, thank the gods!" Athenadora sobs as she too hugs me. Both women clumping together in an embrace.

            "I'm so glad that you two are safe." I sigh against them, but Sulpicia and Athenadora look at me with odd stares.

            "Us? Little bird, you suffered far worse than we had—we are the ones that are thankful for your full recovery." Athenadora brushes her fingers against my cheek sorrowfully.

            "No matter—I for one am glad that everyone is alive and well." I turn to the voice, seeing Aro approaching us with a smile of his own. "Carena...I have so much to thank you for...if not for you, my Sulpicia would not have survived the tyranny of those scum."