Chapter Two

Darkness pulls me down. Fangs, blood, wings. Kieran's face morphed and strangled. Cars whizzing by, bodies falling down. The funeral. I dream all sorts of weird dreams and I gasp when my eyes open. I groan out loud. It feels like someone took a sledgehammer to my head.

On a nightstand next to me, a glass of water lies beside some pills.

With a pang of late realization, I notice that the bedcovers are plain white and not blue like mine. Slowly the room comes into focus.

A dark brown, mahogany wardrobe stands opposite me. The ceiling is creamy white and a fan spins lazily. The walls are plain with no posters or boards. It's a stark contrast to my room which is filled with wardrobes, a vanity table, dark walls with a soft spray of gold and posters of my favorite things plastered. I know, very teenager-ish.

I slowly remove the covers and take the pills and water. I know it's a bad move but the headache is terrible and I'm definitely not thinking straight.

Groaning again, I stand up slowly. I feel a bit dizzy, but I go towards one of the doors.

Bingo. It leads towards the rest of the house. The corridor walls seem familiar. Creamy stucco walls and the same bathroom door down the hall.

It's Brandon's house.

The bathroom door opens and steps out a male figure with dark, damp hair, his top part naked and the bottom half covered with a towel. Another towel hangs around Brandon's shoulder and he's vigorously rubbing at his hair.

My mouth drops open partly. His toned muscles are on full display. He has abs and fair skin with faint scars.

He looks up at me and smiles. "Admiring my body?"

I roll my eyes for the umpteenth time this week. "What am I doing here? In your house."

He blanches at that and I cross my arms in front of my chest. "Tell me. Now."

"You drank a lot at the bar and collapsed. I had to take you back, but I obviously don't know where you live. So, I brought you here to my place. I let you stay in my room and I slept on the couch. You are lucky my parents aren't here." His voice skips like a pebble over water on the word parents.

With a sigh, I nod. "Where's my phone?" It's better if I call Tara and let her know the recent events. Brandon might be Savannah's ex but he's still a bit of a stranger to me. Now, I regret drinking so much, but after the fifth drink your brain just doesn't work.

He hands me a black object, which is my phone and I quickly call Tara, turning my back towards him, giving myself the illusion of privacy.

On the third ring she picks up with a bored 'hello'.

"Hey, T."

"What do you want? Do you want to go for lunch together?"

With a scoff, I check the time and see it's actually two in the afternoon. I slept in late, then. Very late.

"No, no. I'm hungover right now and at Brandon's place."

A heavy silence hangs in the air.

"Did you both-"

I suddenly realize that the combination of getting drunk late at night and waking up at his place means that we could have done things. Oh. My. God.

Turning around quickly, I mouth to Brandon and he shakes his head. Letting out a deep breath, I answer Tara. "No, no, we didn't do anything. I just passed out. And I'm guessing Brandon isn't known for being a molester of passed out women."