Chapter Twenty-Two

Hardening my gaze, I click the safety, holding a finger over the trigger. The man sweats profusely as he gets back on his feet, hands raised.

He shakes his head. "No. Don't kill me. Please. I beg you for mercy, I'll tell you anything. Please. Please."

I wrinkle my nose in disgust. His loyalty is only to himself. That selfish man. I know I wouldn't be able to hold on for long if I were being tortured, but hell, I wouldn't give up so soon. Especially when all he has is a cut on his cheek, broken nose and a black eye. Leo is in a slightly better condition, with only a split lip and his cheekbone area is a dark red.

After quickly assessing him, I tilt my head, telling him to move out of the way. He looks almost impressed as he walks over to Tara. She whispers something as I turn my attention back to the man.

My hands hurt from holding it up high for so long but I'm used to it by now after all the vigorous exercises of tying up my hair. I really hope I can pull this off. The minute he realizes that I can't use a gun- fuck that, even if I did, the stupid gun doesn't have bullets- we won't be able to keep him here. And what was Brandon thinking by bringing an empty gun?

"What are you doing here? I won't kill you." I add. "Just hurt you." Surprisingly, my voice doesn't waver, considering the amount of lying I'm doing. He shifts on his feet. Frustrated by his silence, I move closer. Brandon makes a sound of protest behind me but I ignore him.

"Where is Benedict?" I ask, hoping he answers at least one of the questions.

Finally the man looks up at me. "Sir is in Texas."

"That narrows it down." I mutter. "Where exactly?"

He shrugs. "I don't know." He takes out a handkerchief and mops his sweaty forehead. "I only get instructions. Never met him in person."

I frown and turn to Leo. "But you said he was the butler-"

A huge weight pushes me aside and I slip onto the floor, hitting my hip. The gun slides out of my hand. The man rips his cuff and bites on something. He starts turning purple and blue as Leo shouts at him to stop. It's no use now. Brandon holds the man as he falls down, foaming at the mouth.

"I'm loyal." The man mutters as he takes his last breath.

Yeah, loyal for an idiot. Acid churns in my stomach as I look at the sick dead body and heave everything I ate onto the side.

Tara groans and looks away, burying her face in Leo's jacket. Vomit always causes a chain reaction for her when she's around it. Again, I hurl more acidic substances. Brandon holds back my hair.

I have never seen such a brutal death live before. I saw my mom's dead body, but she was in the hospital bed, hooked to all the wires. This is very different.

There's a bitter taste in my mouth, sweat all over my face and neck. Kieran takes off his coat and covers the man's face with it, frowning. Brandon helps me up and pats my back. The tight dress makes it hard to breathe, annoying me.

We came all the way to this club in uncomfortable dresses, only to find a man who kills himself before divulging any information. We're back to square one.

Spitting on the side, I let out an angry shout, banging the wall once. My wrist pulses with sharp pain but I ignore it. So pathetic. Why can't anything go smoothly? I realize now this is so much bigger than just a guy who was pissed that a girl escaped his clutches.

All this while, his disgusting touch was at the back of my mind, never actually disrupting me but with a sudden wave, I can remember his feel, his words and I shudder, vomiting again.