Chapter Twenty Eight

Like a car crash scene in slow motion, time comes to a halt, while everything around me breaks and shatters.

I'm sorry, Kathryn. We won't work out. Don't try to contact me.

The words keep circling my head and now it has lost all its meaning. When I woke up, Brandon was nowhere to be seen. I searched all over and took my phone to call him. I found a voicemail from him and that's all he had said. So maybe that goodbye he said to me last night was permanent. Or maybe some huge misunderstanding is making him act like this. He should've told me instead of just disappearing. What did I do that made him take such a decision?

Oh God. I remember him talking about how dumping Savannah was a mistake. Fuck.

Was this all just a rebound? A game? What the hell was going on?

I don't know anything anymore.

I take out my phone and call his number. It doesn't reach. I click the button again. And again. Again. Again. Again. Again. Again. Again. Again-

"'NO." I scream and throw my phone hard. It crashes into the window and glass falls down like rain.

This can't be it. I thought he was the one. I even imagined saying the three words to him and he ended it. My heart cracks and it hurts. So much. This feeling is so new to me, I don't know how to handle it. I dreamed and hoped and cared and now I'm in pieces. 

I step forward as tears trail down my face and a broken shard of glass cuts my foot. I choke on a sob and pull it out.

I'm grateful for the hurt because it distracts me from the hell inside me. I deserved more than a bloody voice note with three sentences. Brandon left me. Shattered me. But I'm angry at myself.

What did I do wrong? How didn't I see this coming?

I fall to the ground, using a wall to support me. I cry loudly and a shudder starts from my toes and slowly builds its way up to my shoulders.

Love was supposed to be magical. It should make you happy. This is a nightmare I wanna wake up from. I wanna scream, break things, pound on the wall. I just wanna drown. Everything around me looks sad and I feel helpless. I can't believe he left me. He'll come back, right? He wants me back, right? Right?

I cover my face and my soul cries as well. I scream again, my throat hurts but nothing is worse than the pain of my heart. I want him back. I want him here. Please. I just want to feel his touch. Breakups had never been this bad. 

Moving on isn't easy they say. Not easy? It looks fucking impossible to me. How could he? I didn't know his un-beating heart was capable of tearing mine into shreds.

My leg is bleeding but I couldn't care any less. Maybe I'm overreacting. Breakups happen left and right, and he's just one guy-

No, my mind whispers to me. He isn't just one guy. He's a beautiful vampire, who I bared my heart to and fell head over heels for.

Not able to breathe properly, I stagger into the kitchen and drink a glass of water. Then I open the fridge and gag. It has moldy lettuce and old cheese. The vegetables have gone bad and I have no bread in the house. Groaning, I rub at my sticky and wet eyes and pull out a small container with frosting. I might as well eat that.

Wandering into the hall, I block out all thoughts about Brandon. He's a fucking bastard.

My landline is a bit wonky, but seeing as my phone is broken- just like my heart- I make use of it. The line crackles and Tara picks up the call.

"Hi," she breathes. "Is this Leo?" She asks so eagerly, I can almost hear her heart beating rapidly.

I bite my lip. "No, T. It's me. This is my landline since my phone broke."