Chapter Fifteen

The headache is worse than last time. I must've taken two aspirins till now and it still pounds as if someone is hitting it repeatedly with a truck. I even hold an ice pack to my head, though I doubt that works.

Skye keeps looking at me and laughs. I stick my tongue out to her and go back to my room. Even her tinkling bell laugh makes my head hurt more. I slept like a log last night and woke up in the early afternoon. Tara kept throwing me dirty looks, saying that I was a bad influence on Skye. I had eaten three spoons of soup before throwing it all up on the bathroom floor. Now, I have bathroom duty for the next two weeks. Yay.

Kieran knocks on my door and I wince.

"Sorry," he whispers and sits on the chair. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine, I guess."

"Jules has an idea about the killings and Tara said she knows the location of one of the princes."

Massaging my head, I lie on the bed. "Well, what's the next step then?"

"We go warn the prince."

I pat his thigh. "Whoa there, wolf boy, how do you even know this prince guy is good? Haven't you seen movies?"

He huffs and cracks his knuckles. "Life isn't a movie, monkey. It's not some magical land where there is guaranteed happily ever after. This is real life."

Swallowing, I raise an eyebrow. "Real life, eh? Then don't you know that this world is cruel? How can you just assume?"

"I think I know more about cruelty than you." Kieran says quietly. "I was attacked and ripped to shreds by a werewolf. Now I myself am one, after being kept in the clinic for eighteen days in a half asleep state."

My eyes flood with tears. "I'm sorry, Kier. So, so sorry. I'm so selfish. Sorry-"

"Shh, silly. I'm not blaming you. You didn't know." He pulls me in a hug and strokes my hair. "Of course we aren't going to blindly trust him. Jules has a plan, let's go listen."

I nod and my head hurts again so I remind myself not to move my head at all.

Kier and I shuffle to the living room and I settle on the couch, whereas he leans against the wall. Julian scowls while sitting on a chair, one leg on top of the other. Tara cradles Skye and smiles at me. Brandon is drinking what clearly looks like blood and stands next to Kier, doing that man-nod thing.

"Jules? Go ahead, babe." Kier calls out and Julian's face softens a bit.

"The third eldest prince lives in the city where my parents live. We can go there and find out what we can about him, because princes love being flashy and will be easy to find."

That's the most I've ever heard him speak.

I clap and grin. "I'd love to meet Elora and Xander again. I miss them."

Brandon looks at me curiously but glances away when I catch him. Julian sighs exasperatedly.

"Call them first." I suggest and he brings out his phone reluctantly. I go and stand behind him to listen as much as I can. I point at the speakerphone option and a muscle in his jaw twitches. It gets picked up almost immediately.

"Oh, Jules, my baby, I was just about to call you." Elora's voice comes out strained. Feeling worried, I speak without thinking. "Elora, what's wrong?"

That throws her off. "Kathryn?" She asks incredulously. I exhale sharply. "Questions later. What happened?"

A sob escapes her and I bite my nails.

"Xander had a heart attack."

Julian pales and I hold him, gently patting his back. "He's in the hospital right now. Come home, son. Please. Bring Kathryn with you."