Chapter Three

Their house is small and pretty with a red roof and creamy walls. Once I enter, I hover around the door. "I would like to use your telephone." I manage to say, my voice ragged and dry. While walking I searched for my phone but it must have fallen down when I was running.
She nods and ushers me in. The house smells like smoke, butter and lavenders. The walls are yellow and photographs are framed on one wall.

The first one shows the man and woman, years ago, holding each others' hand. Another one shows a young, handsome man with sandy blond hair and a scowl on his face. The old woman clicks her tongue from behind me and I turn.

"What happened?" She mutters, raking her eyes over me. 

Biting the inside of my cheek, I debate whether to tell them or not. The look on the woman's face is so motherly and she looks at me with so much concern that I can't bring myself to lie. "I was attacked." I say softly.

Her husband quickly glances at us and stands up. "Oh, you poor girl." He frowns. "Sit, sweetheart. I hope you aren't hurt." 

I shake my head. "Not much." My voice cracks as I sit on the couch.
The woman disappears into the house. The man sits across from me and throws the cigar in the tray. "I will not press you for answers, child. What would you want me to do?"
"I'd like to call the police first."
"Of course." He replies, nodding. He has little hair on his head and it is all white. His tanned skin is wrinkled but his blue eyes are clear and full of warmth. Handing me an old BlackBerry, I take it with a smile. 

"Thank you, Mr.- uhh." 

"You can call me Xander, dear." 

I smile more. "Thank you so much Xander." Quickly punching in the number, I place the phone on my ear, letting the tune wash over me. The call is picked up on the third ring.
"Texas police. How can we help you?" A male voice answers.
I take a deep breath. "Sir, I was jumped and attacked. I managed to escape and now I'm at somebody's house. Can you please send someone over?"
The man says something to someone else at the station and talks to me again. "Location, please." 

I hand over the phone to Xander and he barks the address to them and cuts the call. He looks at me and smiles. "Anybody else you would like to call? Your family?"
I nod. It's better if I call Tara, at least. 

At that moment his wife comes back with a mug and a plate. "Here is some lovely ginger tea and biscuits. You will find your energy in no time."
Feeling overwhelmed with her love and warmth, I cry again. She sits next to me and strokes my hair. Even though I flinch at first, I calm down and enjoy her affection as I sip on the warm tea.
"What's your name, darling?" 

"Kathryn. Kathryn Elyse. And what should I call you ma'am?" 

"Call me Elora. Do you want to talk about what happened?" 

Closing my eyes briefly, I lean back into the couch and munch into a biscuit. "Can I first call my friend?" 

Elora kisses my forehead and tucks my hair with quick motherly precision. "You call whoever you want and I will prepare a bath for you. It'll make you feel good."
She leaves the living room, untying her blonde and white hair on the way. 

I am so thankful and grateful that I found these people. I have no idea what I would have done without them. They also make me miss my family more than ever. I had left them in a rather fashionable way, but I regret it. Maybe now is a good time to reconnect. 

This couple barely knows me and they are being so kind. When I get home, I will have to remember to call them occasionally. This cruel world doesn't deserve this kind of people. Shuddering, I pick up the phone again and dial Tara's number, not having to hesitate to remember it.