Chapter Five

"Your brother is alive?" Tara looks at me blankly. "Why didn't you tell me? I would've liked to meet the brother who rose from the dead."

I sigh and rub my face. Confusion isn't even a state for me anymore, it's become a part of my personality. "And Brandon claimed that Kieran is a werewolf."

"Yeah, and I'm a mermaid." She says without inflection. I'm glad I am not the only one who doesn't believe in all of this.

"But," she continues. "I'm not that surprised. A small part of me always knew that it was all real. The books I read aren't all fake."

With a groan, I take another sip of sweet tea. Tara is on her fifth cup of coffee. I wonder if there is something like coffee poisoning.

My best friend took a day off from work today for me. Right after breakfast, I made her sit down and told her the events of last night. Even she is trying to wrap her head around things like I am.

Tapping her nails with chipped nail polish on the glass table, she pouts. "So what's Brandon?"

"A human." I say sternly, refusing to even take the paranormal route. She shakes her head. "Fine. But if we pretend that they are telling the truth and Kieran is a werewolf, and he said that Brandon is hiding a secret. What is it? Is he some creature too?"

Her expressions are very confusing for me to read, so I lean back in the chair. "A vampire, I guess."

Tara's brown eyes gleam. "Hm," she hums, not saying anything.

Placing my cup in the sink, I go to sleep again, frustrated. I don't plan on meeting Brandon like he told me. I doubt he's actually going to give me answers. But, meeting Kieran sounds like a good idea. I text him and his reply comes back soon saying that he'll come here at six. It's still so crazy to believe that he isn't a figment of my imagination.

Flopping onto the bed, I cocoon myself under the covers and fall asleep.

I wake up soon after five. I go for a shower so I can feel a bit energetic. The hot water beats down my body and I turn red all over. My shower is completely brutal with hard scrubs and vigorous soap rubbing. I come out looking pink and feeling sore. A good kind of sore though.

Choosing a simple pair of jeans and a grey hoodie, I wait in the living room for Kieran to come. Right on time, he rings the bell at the stroke of six. He is nothing if not punctual.

Opening the door with a grin, my smile falters at the sight. Brandon is with him. My pulse races at the sight of him. So gorgeous. Skin prickling due to his nearness, I stare at him, not able to look away.

"Are you gonna let us in or just make us stand outside?"

With a scowl, I let them both in. I give my brother a what-the-hell look and he just shrugs, grimacing. Okay, so yeah, I didn't imagine him, then. I close the door mutinously and cross my arms in front of my chest.

"Brandon, what are you doing here?"

He turns around and smirks. I resist myself from jumping his bones. "Got a problem?"

As I'm about to retort, Tara enters the room and looks at Kieran and Brandon stonily. Her midnight hair hangs in sheets down her shoulder, reaching her waist. Her all black clothes make her look pretty badass.

Tara saunters over and smiles, though there isn't any warmth in it. "I finally get to actually meet the great Brandon. I would say it's good to see you but I don't lie." She hisses out the last sentence with loads of venom. I don't understand why.

"I know." Brandon says and cocks his head. It seems like they are having a staring contest. Neither of them blinks and Kieran and I just stand awkwardly. I give them ten more seconds before I clear my throat.