Chapter Sixteen

After a flurry of goodbyes, promises to visit soon and reminders to call, we set off and this time I'm not driving.

Tara happily takes the wheel and I wonder what date of birth is on her driver's license. If a cop pulls us over and asks her for the license, then we are so dead. But then, she has been driving since forever, she must've figured something out.

"Sorry."

I turn around and raise an eyebrow at Julian who just spoke. He sighs. "I got a bit paranoid about what happened. Shouldn't have been so rude."

Smiling softly, I nod. "It's fine. I totally understand your concern. I had a similar experience so I know where you're coming from."

He purses his lips together and looks away, stroking Skye's hair who leans into him. I had no idea they were so close.

I glare at Brandon, he rolls his eyes. "Julian, I'm sorry for punching your nose."

Julian tips his chin and fiddles with his fingers. An awkward silence settles and I turn to the front again. Tara sighs and blasts music from the speaker. Soon enough, we both are singing along to Animals by Maroon 5. Twenty minutes later, we are in the proper city part of Galveston and the buildings are fancier. We stop at a gate. Tara glances out the window and grimaces. "State of the art security. Nice."

A guard appears and gestures to Tara to step out. She opens the door and smiles sweetly at him. It doesn't bother him in the least.

"This is private property, ma'am. Are you lost?"

"Do I look lost to you, douche?" She shakes her head. Tara points at us. "We're here to meet our friend, Mr. Leopold Di Vialo."

The guard has a bored look on his face. "Mr. Di Vialo hasn't informed me of any guests, you may leave."

Tara squints at him. "Okay, listen here, Mr. Prissy Pants, we are here to meet Leopold and we will go inside. Try stopping me." At this point she is almost all in his face and breathing hard.

Before she can slam the door, Mr. Prissy Pants (the name stuck, oops) holds her back. Immediately, she is aggravated and kicks him right in the balls. The guard grunts loudly and moves back. Huffing, Tara opens the gates, gets back in the car and drives inside, the guard shouting at us.

I stare at my best friend. "Are you crazy?"

"Yeah. Haven't you realized?"

"I did." Kieran says from behind. "Extremely loca. Out of your darn mind. You'll get us arrested, chica."

"I won't." She assures and floors the car. I grip the seat for dear life and curse under my breath. "I think you're getting a bit old." I tell her. "Just a smidge." I add when she sneers at me.

The guard rushes at us, telling us to stop. Tara snaps her finger and he falls to the side. Her hands flutter on the wheel and her face sags a bit. The magic drains her energy. No wonder she rarely uses it.

We stop at the big black double doors of the huge villa. It has a tiled roof, stucco walls and hedges surrounding it. Not modern but classy.

The doors snap open and we all file out. Any minute now someone is going to throw us in jail. A whole world full of vampires, werewolves, fucking faeries and this is how my life goes- in jail at the ripe age of twenty three. Perfect.

A tall man steps out, wearing dark pants and a waistcoat, black hair tousled. He glares at us and his gaze halts on Tara. His jaw drops but he immediately composes his face, a haughty look replacing. I smirk knowingly, maybe we won't be going to prison after all...