Chapter Six

"You sure y'all aren't part of the Avengers or something?" I mutter, crossing my hands in front of my chest.

"I wish." Kieran says wistfully. "But it is kind of like that. The main center is in America and it has the latest tech and stuff. The ghillies and fae being the Elite have lots of access to it and are kind of like our supernatural government. The Outlaws- vamps and weres are like the common man. We are called Outlaws because of some crap that our ancestors did."

I hold up a hand, half of what he said not even registering. "Wait, what? Where is that place and what are ghillies?"

Tara gives us all glasses of mulled wine. "Well, that is a secret place that normal people don't know about. It's our hidden government. There are two centers, one for low level Elite and one for the upper level ones. I have a plan. We are going to hack into the Elite's mainframe and retrieve their data files."

"Whoa there big girl. I don't get a single word you are saying. Hack? And why? Can't you just ask the other fae or something?"

Brandon sits on the edge of the seat and takes over. I feel like I'm being lectured by some fancy agents from C.I.A. "See, Kathryn, Ghillie Dhus also known as ghillies are mountain spirits. No, they aren't ghosts exactly and no they don't float. They are borderline extinct nowadays."

I'm impressed. He guessed what I was going to say in the exact order before I could even open my mouth. "And no," he sighs. "I can't read minds. I just know you are the type of person who asks such silly questions."

Frowning, I cross my arms in front of my chest feeling a bit offended.

He continues. "I think I know why she wants to hack the Elite mainframe."

Tara raises an eyebrow. "Let's hear it."

"You're an outcast. For something you did, or your parents. The Elite have always been very uptight so you probably want revenge or on the lines of it at least."

Tara's face betrays no emotion, but the slight curling of her fingers lets me know that he's right.

I put my arms around her. "It's okay. I still love you."

She laughs coldly and pushes me off, clearly very pissed or hurt because she loves affection from the people she is close to.

"I'm an outcast." Tara clarifies, looking straight into Brandon's eyes. "My mother was the Queen of Faerie but she married a human. An Indian to be specific and she was given a choice. Leave him and come back or stay away forever. My mother left Faerie but soon I was born and she hid me in faerie, so 'I could be who I truly am'."

Sighing she sits on the chair and massages her head.

"You don't have to tell us." I say softly. She shakes her head. "No more secrets, remember?" Tara looks at the beige wall, turning the wine glass in her hand. "I was in a secluded place all my childhood. It was like a prison and I never got to leave. Only three faeries ever visited me. My aunt and her two friends. They didn't treat me well - I will leave out the gory details. My mother never came for me- mind you, I didn't know any of my parental history, so I had zero idea about who I was or what was going on."

My heart breaks for the little Tara, being abandoned her whole childhood.

"Soon, I broke out and went to find answers. Found out my mother was the Queen which makes me a princess. I spent years looking for her. Finally, I did. But when I made a public appearance in Faerie, they all hated me for being part faerie- so that's why I can lie and be all sarcastic and hide things, but I am brutally honest anyways. So I left and sought refuge in the human world. I've been here long."