Chapter Eight

A huge pale blue building comes into view. It's three stories on top. Maybe it even has floors below the ground.

It's almost night. A few stars peek out and wink mockingly at me.

Badass movie life or not, I have a feeling I might just get killed. And just because I didn't want to die in a boring way lying on my bed, doesn't mean I wanna die so young, however exciting it sounds! I think Brandon notices my discomfort, because he leans into me and speaks in my ear. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

I nod, his soft voice almost making me believe what he said. Things could go in any way and he couldn't really protect me all the time, but I do appreciate his gesture.

Also, I want answers. Substantial, real answers. If I'm involved in this mumbo jumbo, I want to know everything.

This boosts my confidence as we step through big glass doors.

The whole entrance area is crowded, as if someone put up a sign for free blowjobs. I mean, I don't see a single woman here, though I could be wrong. It makes me feel very conspicuous.

Kieran swiftly kisses my cheek and smiles, giving me a thumbs up.

"Don't die out there." I say half jokingly. He rolls his eyes and then nods at Brandon who returns the gesture.

Julian, impassive as ever, starts moving towards the other end of the room. Kieran rushes behind him, silently slipping his hand with his boyfriend's.

I smile to myself and turn to Brandon with a grin. "Ready to sprinkle some fairy dust?"

"I'll fart some glitter as well." He smiles and we walk into the room, acting as if we own the place. Tara said the faeries are arrogant and snobbish. I look down upon the people around me and half of them throw disgusted looks at us while the others just show fear.

I feel bad for them. There is this little redheaded girl whose fangs snap out and she starts crying. She looks so confused and it doesn't look like she knows anyone here. Our eyes meet and her blue ones beg me to help her, I bite my lip tearing the skin. I almost go to help her, but Brandon pulls me back. "I want to help her too, but we will risk our lives and others' too. We'll try doing something for her."

With a little bit of hesitation, I shrug, send her an apology through my expression and continue strutting towards a door that leads inside.

A person stands guard and looks up at us with thinly veiled exasperation. "Late again, faeries. Do none of you faeries own a watch?"

Brandon raises a single eyebrow. "Ghillie, let us in."

"Of course." He spits and opens the door.

We enter, and I'm barely containing my urge to laugh. Brandon pinches me and I hiss at him. "Sorry," he says, though he clearly looks anything but. "You were gonna laugh."

Scowling, I go down the carpeted hallway. Brandon seems to know where we are going, so I just follow. The phone Tara had given him, vibrates softly and he opens the message. He reads it out. "We have to go to the Head Office and meet another guard."

Brandon nods understandingly and takes a left.

"You know this place?" I ask in a whisper.

"Yeah. Been here plenty of times. When you become a vamp or a werewolf you have to do lots of registry work and sign so many documents and bullshit. The thing I'm proud of is, I faked it all. As far as they know, Brandon Scott does not exist."

Color me impressed. He doesn't strike me as the type to go against authorities. Sure, he isn't innocent, 'I obey all rules and I will kiss your ass' kinda guy. But doing something illegal? That's just first-class.