Chapter Fourteen

"Is love dependent on time?" I look at Tara over my cup of tea. She sips her second cup of coffee and rolls her eyes.

"Of course not. It can take six years or six months or even six days." She pauses. "Well, at least Jane Austen said so."

I chortle and wave my hand, asking her to continue.

"It depends on the person, Kat. On the past, future, present, heart, situation or hell, maybe even the weather. Love can take little or lots of time, you just need to be able to see it. The excuse- 'it's too soon to call it love' is just fucking stupid."

Skye's little face morphs into a frown. "Tara didi! Bad word. Say sorry or-" she stretches out her arm and taps her palm.

My best friend scowls. "Jeez, you're gonna be a walking, talking swear jar, aren't you?"

Tara laughs and hands her a dollar and apologizes to me half heartedly. Skye has her wrapped around her tiny finger really well. Thank God I don't swear so much out loud, or I'll be bankrupt in ten days.

Kieran comes out of his room in a robe and yawns. Looks like he hardly got any sleep last night. Gross. He blushes when he sees me and runs to the bathroom. I chuckle and Tara smirks. "He was wearing a ring."

I stand up at lightning speed. "What? My little bro is engaged? He didn't tell me. What the f-" I glance at Skye and grimace. "What the heck? I am going to have 'words' with him." Fuming, I stride to the bathroom and bang on the door. I'm happy that his relationship is going so well, but he didn't tell me at all that it was so good that he was going to fucking marry someone.

Kieran frowns as he peeps from behind the door. "What do you want Kathryn?"

"You're engaged?"

"What?"

"You're wearing a fucking ring!"

He laughs and steps out, pulling on a grey shirt. "Oh hermana, no. It's just a promise ring. Jules gave it to me last night and I wanted to tell you but then the attack happened and y'know. You look so shocked, chica. Is me getting married that scary to you?"

My hand flutters to my chest, trying to calm my racing heart. "Scared?" I scoff. "No, that's dumb. I was just pissed that you were so into Julian that you were ready to get married and didn't even tell me."

Smiling, he pats my cheek. "No, you weren't angry, you were hurt. I promise I won't take such a big decision without even telling you about it."

I nod and hug him tightly. "Now, tell me the details. Spill the tea!"

With a chuckle, we go into my room and I sprawl on my bed while he perches on the edge, playing with the new metal band on his finger. It's black with silver lining on the top and bottom. So pretty.

"I met Jules seven months back. He hated me in the beginning, since I was always pestering him."

I giggle. That does sound like Kier.

"I spent half my time asking him questions and he rarely spoke. He's really handsome so naturally I was attracted to him and didn't want to leave him. I wanted to make him my friend at least."

Smirking, I make a face at him. "He became more than just friends." I wiggle my eyebrows suggestively. He throws a pillow at me, cheeks turning pink.

It's hilarious how the positions have reversed. It used to be me, blushing and stuttering all the time and now Kier is on that side. Hah.

"One day, he said shut up or I'll kick you out. I made a bold move and said 'make me.'"

I let out a loud whistle. "Damn, that was smooth."