ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ

Sophia barely slept. She was thinking far too much about her night with Heisenberg. It felt like a fever dream – what was happening with Miranda and the lords. It didn't feel real. Who knew how long they had before Miranda went through with her plan. Sophia already knew exactly how she would do it. After spending all this time with her, Sophia finds Miranda predictable – because she only thinks about herself.

There was no wondering if the child existed. It did. Now, all Sophia had to do was find out where the poor family lived. And she wasn't sure she wanted to. Maybe, she could delay it somehow, give Heisenberg time to figure out more of this plan that he has before Miranda gets her hands on the baby. Then they could take her down for good and avoid anything catastrophic. Something close to what Sophia imagined as the end of the world.

"Sophia..."

The woman popped straight up at the voice outside her door. It was Miranda.

"One moment, Mother," Sophia said as she scrambled out of bed. She stopped in front of the mirror hanging over the sink and ran her fingers through her hair to tame the frizz from lying down. She smoothed her hands over clothes – Mother Miranda would not be pleased with her appearance.

With her hand on the doorknob, she sucked in a deep breath for confidence then opened the door. The woman wearing her robes looked at Sophia from head to toe then bringing a judgmental gaze back to her eyes. "You're not prepared."

It wasn't a question.

Sophia was quick with her answer, "I was resting per your request, Mother. I apologize."

Miranda sighed but posed no counter argument. That made it easy for Sophia. "Get dressed and meet me in my chambers. It's time."

"Yes, Mother Miranda." Sophia dipped her head with a slight curtsey, and she watched the woman turn around then begin to walk away. Once there was an appropriate amount of distance between them, Sophia closed the door and quickly got ready. She changed out of her pants and tunic into a long white lace dress. This one wasn't her favorite. The train was much too long, causing her to trip on it often, but it was Miranda's favorite because it was once hers. Sophia sometimes wonders if she would want it back one day.

Quickly, Sophia braided her hair back, tying the end with a leather strap then fleeing out the door grabbing her cloak along the way. She couldn't keep Miranda waiting.

She arrived at Miranda's chambers in record time and said nothing as she moved toward her chair in the center of the room. She sat down and stared straight ahead as Miranda spoke.

"You will not leave this spot until you find out where that baby is. Do you understand, Sophia?"

"Yes, Mother."

This was going to kill her – she could feel it, but if she denied, Miranda would kill her. It was a lose-lose situation. The best Sophia could do was know when to exert more energy and know when to hold back. To only know when to listen or to only know when to look. It would be more efficient that way.

She realized Heisenberg helped her. She had the face of Ethan and Rose now thanks to his research instead of only Mia's. Hopefully, that would make things a lot simpler for her.

Like flipping through the channels of a television, Sophia switched between the three of them every hour or so. They were so – happy. The way they lived – it was perfect. They had everything that they needed. Each other. For a moment of time, Sophia forgot what she was looking for and found herself imagining that she had a life like they did. For as long as she could remember, she never did. Her family wasn't one to show love. She certainly doesn't have any of that now. Even being surrounded by people, she's alone in every aspect.

What if she fell in love? What would that be like? How would she know if she had? She guessed something like that would simply happen. You don't really search for it. Or do you? She didn't know, and she was positive that she would never find out.

Getting herself back on task, she realized it had been hours and she was nowhere near figuring out where they were. The family hadn't left their home all day, let alone even look out a window so that she could observe their surroundings. Sophia could feel her body weakening to a point where it was becoming painful. Her breathing and heart rate slowed by the hour.

She tried to concentrate and switch from Ethan to Mia, but that was the last straw. Her body couldn't handle it. She became a ragdoll falling out of her chair and onto the floor. Her vision was dark, and she felt cold as if she had been submerged in freezing cold water. She was unsure if she was breathing. If she was, it wasn't often. This was it – this was how Sophia Finch died, and it wasn't even memorable.

"Sophia?" a voice called out, and it wasn't Miranda.

"Karl?" she mumbled back with confusion.

She felt a hand cup her cheek and lift her head. Her eyes could barely make out his face as he was knelt in front of her.

"Good God, what has she done to you?" he asked worriedly as his hand shifted to the back of her head and lifted it off the ground.

"I haven't found them yet," she told him, struggling to keep her eyes open.

He ignored her weak words and growled with anger, "I'm getting you out of here, Soph."

She didn't have the strength to protest. He hooked his arms under legs and torso lifting her off the ground, and she allowed him.

Another presence joined them – it was Miranda. "And just what do you think you're doing?"

"She needs rest," Karl told the woman, not bothering to turn and face her.

"Who are you to decide that? She will rest when I say she can rest," the woman practically snarled at him.

Karl whipped around, sending a cool chill around Sophia. She wished to speak and apologize to Mother Miranda. She wanted to demand that Heisenberg put her down so that she could do what she was asked before he got them both killed, but her body wouldn't allow it.

"You're going to kill her..." he says, and Sophia wished she could see the look on Mirandas face.

"And why do you care about her well-being?" Miranda posed.

Karl cleared his throat then his entire demeanor changed, putting on a theatrical voice, "Do you want her to find that damn kid or not? I'm thinking about the ceremony, Mother Miranda. Your plans."

There was a long unnecessary pause before Miranda hummed in response, "I suppose you're right. Take her, but I will be expecting her to return as soon as she's feeling well enough." She moved closer as she spoke, and Sophia felt a long lanky finger drag along her cheek. "Do you hear me, Sophia?"

"Yes," Sophia managed to answer.

"Good..." she said. "Now, leave me so that you do not waste more of my time."

"Gladly," Karl mumbled under his breath, just loud enough for Sophia to hear which caused Sophia to smile just enough for him to notice.